Motorised setup

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Can anyone help me with setting up a 1.2m fortec star system using a polar mount and 18" jack. I have done a search for articles on how to setup a motorised system but all the links seem to have gone. If anyone has an idiot guide it would be very usefull. I live just North of London.

Pixey

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi Pixey,

You should find some usefull information on setting up the polar mount and jack arm from the following link.

http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor454578

Best advise would be to start with the mechanics first ensure that your pole is 100 % vertical then set the mount to true south you still can use either the intelsat 707 at 1.0 west or the Thor satellite's at 0.8 west.

Setup the declination and elevation as supplied with your mount,

The guide above also supplies further information

What type of mount do you have ? what are you using to power the 18 " jack?.

Old Satellite

Old satellite

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks for the link Old Satellite. The mount I have is universal. I was told that the dish I have, although quite big, is still fine with a 2" pole. I have tried this and I don't think that a 2" pole is substantial enough. So I have got hold of a 2 metre length of 3" pole and have found that the universal mount will not fit around the pole without re-drilling to accept the wider pole. I have been back to my supplier and have been told that a 3" universal polar mount is not available. I am not sure what to do?? Also I have no elevation / declination settings to follow??
I am going to use a v-box (mk11) to drive the motor.

Pixey

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Aug-02 AT 10:16 PM (GMT)]Precision used a 2" post for years on 1.2m antennas so theres not much wrong unless it sways in the wind

I dont blieve there are no 3" universal polarmonts available though . I think your dealer is making more money on the ones he stocks at present

Fortec Star dont make dishes, is what you have prime focus or offset ?

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Hi CH, from what I have been told they have only been making dishes for a matter of months - have a look on their web site. The one I have got is offset and seems to be well built. So you think a 2" pole will be ok, I was thinking of re-drilling the mount to take the 3" pole as it is a lot more stirdy. Where can I find the elevation / declination settings?

Pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hmmm

Its galvanised steel

If you live near the coast this is quickly going to fall apart

It looks suspiciously Taiwanese from the mount, similar to Janky.

I would liik at getting a dish that is suitable from the start straight away with polarmount , Channel Master (Plastic), or Precision (Aluminium) should be about the same price including mount

Unless you wish to go straight up to 1.8m and get the Prodelin 1186 unit.......

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Has you say Channel Hopper this looks very much like the Janki dish,

The Jaguar 1224 Mount will fit a 3" pole no problem and also will accept either prime focus or offset dishes.

It is not cheap but as I have stated in previous threads it is solid h-h mount for dishes up to 2.0 mtr. I have two of them both are, over three years old and used extensively without problems.

Pixey be very carfull if you live near the coast as channel hopper confirmed the dish wont last long, you would be much better of with a Channel master or Prodelin dish from the start.

Elevation and declination is dependent upon your exact location, the Link I copied includes a majority of the settings- If you can confirm the city where you live we can tell you the exact angles for both Elevation and declination.

Regards

Old Satellite

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
I am in North London.

Pixey

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi Pixey,

Below provides an overview for your setup of your elevation and declination

London is approx 51.30 degrees north and 0.10 degrees east

Elevation should be set to approx 51.70 degrees and your declination to 6.70 degrees

http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html#anchor801578

The above provides an overview of our they are used on the setup of the mount.

If you already have the Fortec dish then you should be able to utilise it north london with good success.

One thing you may do with your pole if you wish- since you already have the 3" you can either modify as you confirmed earlier, or you could have a piece of 2.5" or 2 " welded with supports to your 3' pole

Has Channel Hopper confirmed previously normally a 2" is fine on a 1.2 mtr dish.

What is the range of satellites that you are looking to recieve ?

Has you need to set the jack on the polar mount accordingly

regards

Old Satellite

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks CH and Old Satellite for your advice, I have got a refund on the Fortec Star dish and mount and bought a 1.2 Channel Master and polar mount and it is so much better made.
I really am after Premiership football, I have been to http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/ to look at what is broadcast and where and unfortunatly it looks as though quite a lot is encrypted with seca2 or irdeto2. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
18 West has a lot of football on Prima TV

Feeds from 31.5 West I think put down the Sky feeds though Im not a fan and I heard they npw encrypt a lot of them

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks CH, I will have a look when I have got everything setup. You say the feeds may be encrypted, with Videocrypt I suppose?

Pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dear Pixey

These wont be Videocryopt as they are digital

I believe the newer MPEG 4:2:2 is used which neatly prevents domestic satellite boxes from picking it up

I do know of companies that make something that will receive the standard, but you have to have deep pockets as they are over £1000 a shot.

I did see that 13East Netherlands and 5E Scandinacian TV puts down the Championship League when its on. Not beeing a footie addict cannot say if this is useful to you or not

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
You could also try the Channel Plus Holland package On Astra 19.2E
Many times both on Chanel Blau and RTL 5 also at the weekends carries many of the latest football matchs.

regards

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Silly me

Yes of course Netherlands is on Astra.

Aplologies if you have been looking for a non existent transponder

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks for your help guys - very informative as usual.

pixey