Motorised setup

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I'm having a motorised sys installed based on a 1m dish, twin lnb and diseqc motor. The shop contracts out to an installer and they have given me a (rough) price for fitting. Is there any thing else I need to get going, Im a bit wary about the installer turning up, shaking his head and saying where is the blah blah, didnt you order one mate etc etc. The other thing is I haven't got the receiver yet (still scratching my arse about that one). Will the fitter be able to just stick the dish up and say thats it, sorted? Then I plug my receiver in next month and bobs ya uncle?

Pete

Im also a bit confused about whose liability it is if something goes wrong. I pay the fitter seperate, so how do I know if its a hardware or a fitting problem (without annoying you guys for days on end)

Pete;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would certainly help if you had a receiver there Pete, but depending on the type of motor and the equipment that the installer has, he may be able to do a good setup without a receiver.

It would however be in your interest, even if you have to borrow one , to have a receiver there so that you can see all of the satellites working before the guy leaves. He may even be able to bring one with him if you ask before hand.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Pete I certainly agree with Rolf about having a receiver there to test the set-up. Is it necessary to have the installer in before you are provided with your own receiver?...I'm not trying to tell you what to do but it seems a little back to front to me. Who is the warranty with in case of a poor installation? Do you have written details....you are entitled to them.

Jimbo

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Best put it on hold then, I really haven't a clue what receiver to get yet. I know what I

Now that's what I call an enigmatic end to a post Pete .;)

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Thanks fellas,

Sheesh, I think I better put it on hold. Your comments are appreciated, I'll check it out.

Pete.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If its a DiSeqC motor system the installer should have the grey cells to carry something that allows the dish to be positioned using a remote protocol unit, at the very least a compatible receiver in the van.

Some motors do have buttons on the base to allow local adjustment when up a ladder, but they also require power through the cable input (signal output), and a receiver would be the best thing to power it