Motorised system set up

tech51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan ST350 PVR, 120Gb Hd, 80cm dish on Digipower DiSEqC motor, DragonCAM & Loader, Infinity Phoenix on Homebrew PC 2.4 Ghz 512 Mb RAM, 200Gb Hd.
Hi guys, I'm trying to line up my 90cm dish on top of my roof. My system is a Manhattan ST350 PVR with 120Gb HD, Dragon 4.1, Infinity Phoenix programmer and a Moteck DiSEqC motor. I live just a little south of Glasgow and I've set the dish angle at 30 deg and zeroed at what I thinh is true south (1deg West) I've no idea what to put into the OSD when it asks for longitude & latitude, any Ideas?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tommy

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Name County Latitude Longitude Elevation
Glasgow Strathclyde 55.862 -4.245 68 m

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So in fact, your South reference will be more like 5W.

H

Happy-Buddah

Hi Tech51
According to my Philips world atlas, Glasgow is 55*52' North approx 55.9 degrees north and 4*14' west approx 4.25degrees west.
Your motor should be set to 56degrees latitude or 34 degrees elevation (depending upon the scale on the side of the motor mount.
As Rolfw states, your nearest due south satellite is the bird at 5*west, plenty of strong french transponders to set up on, check frequencies etc on Lyngsat or Flysat. Best of luck with your setting up.
H-B

tech51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan ST350 PVR, 120Gb Hd, 80cm dish on Digipower DiSEqC motor, DragonCAM & Loader, Infinity Phoenix on Homebrew PC 2.4 Ghz 512 Mb RAM, 200Gb Hd.
Thank you all. I was really scratching my head. ( long time since I had to know anything about lats & longs). I'll keep you posted as to how I prgress, perhaps my experiences will help others.

Tommy

tech51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nada! there's nothing doing. I've set the dish @ 34*, pointed it @ 5*, took it round to where Astra 28* should be and did a search but not a dicky bird. It's getting very confusing now. The Manufacturers instructions said to set the dish @ 30* before attaching it to the motor, then to set the elevation at 34* and the declination @ 7.8* (what exactly is the declination angle?) but having done all this & carried out the advive you'e all given, it still doesn't pick up a thing?????

Tommy

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Do you have a satellite meter?

You will have to post a few more messages before you can use the Private Message function, but when you can, PM me your post code and I'll see what I can do.

:-ohmy

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Tommy, you can't just point it where your best guess of 5W is and then expect to drive it to any other satellites, you need to point it roughly at 5W, then move the motor on the mount and the dish elevation until you find it. Then and only then do you move the motor with the receiver.

So set the Lattitude scale on the motor to 56 degrees, the scale on the dish should be around 32 degrees, but may require a little adjustment to peak the satellite.

The Declination angle on the dish is calculated at 40 degrees minus 7.782 as per the manual.

H

Happy-Buddah

@ tech51

Earlier Moteck motors you had to set to 40 minus declination angle
Later motors I understand are set to 30 minus declination angle
Declination anngle for Glasgow is 7.8 degrees, as you have previously mentiond setting the dish to 30 degrees I assume that you have one of the later motors. Your dish should be set to just over 22 degrees on the dish angle scale.
H-B

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah didn't realise that H-B, thanks. :)

H

Happy-Buddah

@ Rolfw

That came out in a recent thread, I think it was a member from the IOM. I was insisting it should be 40 minus dec and he insisted his manual stated 30 minus dec. I checked on another thread, I think that it was Likvid ans Steffan_st, discussing attributes of Stab versus Moteck and it appears that the Moteck has had a slight design change. Hence now 30 minus dec angle, but there are still a number of the older models and clones about so one must take notice of the handbook that comes with the motor.
H-B

PS you wait until I get my baseball cap, message states that it has been shipped. Must away to find out why my browsing has slowed right down, think that it might be some rubbish that was downloaded from MS today whilst I left the computer on.
H-B

tech51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I go in to dock tomorrow for replacement knee, all this crawling about on the roof is really bu***ing me up, blind as a bat to boot, anyone read the book " the age of living dangerously (or should that be dangerousely??) How the mighty are fallen!

can't wait to see some Telly on this setup.

Thanks all.

Tommy (tech51, Gas not Digi )

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
tech51 said:
I go in to dock tomorrow for replacement knee

Good luck...

H

Happy-Buddah

@tech51

Best wishes for your op.

You're only a youngster, wait to you get to my age! Triple by-pass, half a lung missing, age related macular degeneration, hearing aid and IBS. But it's a great life.

Hope that you have a speedy recovery so that you can get back searching for those elusive satellites.

H-B

tech51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Good site for us Dragon enthusiasts is........................http//:www.walter-web.com.

Thanks fof all the help and good wishes (bloody motorbikes, they said the last replacement would last me! maybe I've lived too long. I'm off to look at these born again Royal Enfields (might have to get a H***** Sportster, Yeghhhhh.

Do flying squirrels eat wing nuts?

Tommy

tech51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
The Moteck instructions state
" Setting the Declination angle on the motor.
Adjust the motor elevation angle via the Inclinometer or the Elevation / Latitude scale on both sides of the motor acording to the latitude of your position."

"Setting the Declination angle on the Dish.
Attach the Dish to the motor. The centre line of the Motor tube can help to mount the Dish on the centre. According to the latitude of your location, find the declination angle by the attached ANGLE TABLE in page 7. (Latitude for Glasgow I've taken as 56*"
All of which gives me a Dish bracket angle of 22.2* which is just about what you guys came up with.

So I have to set the Elevation @ 34* on the motor and 22.2* on the dish, is this correct or is it the other way round???

Tommy

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That is correct, but double check the motor setting is showing 56 degrees on the lattitude scale also, no real need to use the elevation scale.

tech51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Success! with the aid of a walkie-talkie (£2.45 from Argos thanks to all my Nectar points) and a £10 Sat meter, I tuned in my first channels. I set it all up per your instructions, sent it round to 28* E and it all happened, Wonderful. Now all I have to do is find out the best birds for films Docs and family entertainment, then how to programme my Dragon card so as to enable the channels I want (if they're encrypted. I'll search through Lyngsat's site and see what's on some of the birds I can pick up.

Can't Thank you all enough.

Tommy

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well done Tommy, good to hear you've got it sorted. :)

Hotbird 13E is about the best at the moment, gives you TPS (Multivision) and some of the Sky Italia, plus some other bits and pieces. :)

H

Happy-Buddah

Well done, Percy Verance pays in the end.
That was a quick knee replacement OP!
I think that _http://www.flysat.com/ is more user frienfly and informative than Lyngsat, but that is my opinion.
H-B