Motorised system?

M

mista_fista

Hello All,

Im a bit of a n00b and have been checking the site out for a while gleening info.

My question is to do with a motorised of fixed dish system. I understand that I could set up a monoblock which is basically two LNBs on the one pole. The idea behind this is that I could look at two satellites quite close to each other i.e Hotbird and Astra. Is this the prefered setup for a fixed dish system only?

What Im driving at is, as a beginner looking to receive the above two satellites and maybe more in the future is a motorised system best? If so what LNB setup is best.

Thanks,

Pete.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since the monoblock has the internal switching/DiSEqC protocol for connection down one cable, there is a chance that having one of these on the end of a motorised dish will cause trouble with reception when commanding the dish to move.

I would look at your needs of TV (do you want to see everything thats up there, or happy to have a 'limited' choice of 700 channels or so)and then choose

if you avoid the monoblock in the first instance and simply buy two LNBs, a switch and a spacing bar, then all you discard when you motorise can be flogged down the pub, you wont lose too much cash in the upgrade.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Pete,

The monobloc LNB is a nice neat solution for those particular satellites, two separate LNbs on a bracket, using a DiseqC switch can achieve the same result.

Providing that you have a DiseqC capable receiver, it is only marginally more expensive to go the motorised route (ptobably around £60 more). This could be the sensible solution, as it allows for multi-satellte reception from day one.

Rolf

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-May-02 AT 04:26 PM (GMT)]Thanks Guys,

As a said Im a newbie and still fathoming everything out. I havent bought any gear yet but I'm thinking a DiseqC capable receiver may be the best option along with the other gear.

To answer your question channel hopper it would be cool to see as much as I can up there, and I guess therefore your solution rolfw is probably best?

The penny is dropping slowly :)

Cheers.

P.S Please forgive the two usernames I think Ive messed up somewhere...sorry admin

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
FWIW

I started off with two LNBs and a simple DiSeq switch, then motorized afterwards.

I still keep the two LNbs and the switch in operation, as 80% of the channels are on E13 or E19.2, and it saves having to move the dish when only using these two birds.

The motor is mainly for DXing or watching feeds for Cycling etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

W.Hole

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-May-02 AT 07:45 PM (GMT)]w hole,

'The motor is mainly for DXing or watching feeds for Cycling etc'

Lost me there a bit I'm afraid. I just thought that if I was going to have a crack at a satellite system a motorised system may be the simplist and best option. I understand that adding a motor may cost an extra £60-80 but are there any other associated costs I may not be aware of?

The last thing I really want is to get up and running (yeah, like it sounds that simple) and have to change or add something. To be trueful 50% of me is interested in the TV side the other in the technology and hooking it up to my PC.

Regards,

Pete

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Stick with the motorised system now, if you find channel hopping is too slow you can add the fixed option later

By the way whats a n00b ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Newbie.. :)

Rolf

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-May-02 AT 10:28 PM (GMT)]>Stick with the motorised system now, if you find channel
>hopping is too slow you can add the fixed option later
>
>By the way whats a n00b ?

Me = n00b = Newbie, lol, nice 1 Rolf :D

Why would channel hopping be slow? Is this something to do with the speed of the motorised sys'? As I mentioned I really dont want to have to change anything once I shell out for it.

Sheesh, The deeper I go in the more confusing it gets. (Petes wife slaps him with a wet haddock).

Cheers,

Pete

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
'Petes wife slaps him with haddock'

http://www.homestead.com/_ksi0701961504592801/ChixLinx/files/MPFC_FishSlappingDance.avi

I can picture the scene