motorised, well i'm not.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
alterego thanx man

hey if the above piccy looks good i'm up the ladder to look for that signal

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Brilliant :D- can you write down here EXACTLY the steps from installing ProgDvb to geting it working with a DiSEqC motor, 1 at a time?

I will then make it a sticky in the dish setup section, as we clearly need one here.

Cheers

L.:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
lancelot i will do that with pleasure once i've got that signal

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky panasonic, Silvercrest SL65, Skystar USB, Sky ZOne 2 dish on a Moteck SG2100A
My Location
North West England
Your dish looks way too high to me.If the motor is centralised, compare it to a noearby sky dish, should be looking into the sky at the same sort of angle.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
it's all gone tit's up again,
i think its a software problem
but i've got an idea to solve dish setup problem first, i'll explain later once i've solved dish (about 30mins)

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky panasonic, Silvercrest SL65, Skystar USB, Sky ZOne 2 dish on a Moteck SG2100A
My Location
North West England
Here's my dish, pointed at Thor:

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Blimey - you've got good weather there.
We've got 50MPH winds and hail right now.
Your dish face should be slightly above vertical where you are.

L.:)

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Lancelot, that was 2mins before horizontal hail.
Bronking, note how the dish on mine is almost parallel to the motor tube.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
Looks way to high, my dish on Thor

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
There's another plugin that should help you find satellites without a satellite meter. Download and install it into progdvb, then start it from Plugins/Fastsatfinder. It will prompt you to choose the satellite, then the transponder. Choose 1132500 on thor. As well as showing the signal strength, it produces a tone sequence when it sees signals, so if you turn the PC sound up loud, you will be able to hear while you're up the ladder! I used a similiar facility on my Comag box, and made an earpiece on a long extension lead to do the same sort of thing at one point. With Fastsatfinder, you can even get it to speak the signal strength if you want. (and in 2 languages!)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Everything alterego has said on this thread is correct, and you can indeed start your setup on say 28.2, but stick with 1 w for now, as it takes the motor out of the equation until you have your dish basically aligned.

Your dish WAS pointed way to high. The other two pics on here are about right for where you are. Forget setup4pc. Just ignore it for now. The skynet advice is also correct. I have both PCI and USB. Just make sure that you are using the correct version of the patched mibi file to suit the version of the original skynet driver you had installed.

Forget the transponder stuff on setup4pc as well. Just get your progdvb transponder ini file sorted as described above. I know this post doesn't give you anything extra, but at least it should reassure you that the advice the guys are giving you is spot on.

STICK :-bash

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
There is no need for a sat meter, you can do it either with a baby phone or with someone standing next to the TV and teling you what happens.
I have never had a meter and still always managed to set up the dish.
It is very simple, I will repeat what has been said before because it works!:
1) Set your vertical elevation motor angle first (the info is on instructions)
2) Set the vertical elevation dish angle as well. If your dish does not have angle numbers it is not a disaster, just takes a bit longer (read on).
3) Set Motor to 0, and turn motor by slackening clamps to where Thor is supposed to be. Use a compass to get as close to south as you can if you haven"t got a reference nearby dish.
4) SLOWLY try to find the signal. If you are not sure about the elevation you will have to check out a working dish for pointers in order to have a starting point. Use a marker pen to mark where the motor is on the pole. Then SLOWLY move the dish first up (until the angle is surely too high) and then down, wait a few seconds every time so that the receiver can respond. If you cannot find the sat, move the complete motor 1 mm to the side on the pole. Do the up and down thing again, and repeat moving the motor on the pole by 1 mm until you got it. You will find the sat within a few minutes, I have done it lots of time without meters and equipment, just my boy and a mobile phone. The important thing is you got to be patient, and know roughly where south is.

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
"There is no need for a sat meter, you can do it either with a baby phone or with someone standing next to the TV and teling you what happens.
I have never had a meter and still always managed to set up the dish."
The problem comes if there's only you and no one to watch the signal ! That's where the audible tone , like the plugin I mentioned for progdvb, comes in very handy.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
alterego said:
"There is no need for a sat meter, you can do it either with a baby phone or with someone standing next to the TV and teling you what happens.
I have never had a meter and still always managed to set up the dish."
The problem comes if there's only you and no one to watch the signal ! That's where the audible tone , like the plugin I mentioned for progdvb, comes in very handy.

Well, I suppose if you can't get help from anyone...but if you can hear the audible tone wouldn't you simply hear the station comin on if you set the volume loud on your speakers?

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
"wouldn't you simply hear the station comin on if you set the volume loud on your speakers?"
Yes, but the nice thing about these inbuilt audible strength monitors is that you can tell how strong the signal is, and thus fine adjust the dish, without having to watch the display. They change in frequency and volume, or in the case of Fastsatfinder, can be set to repeatedly speak the current signal strength. Try it if you have progdvb.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lol ok I will! Even though I must say that what I did last time when I was alone in the house I put up my phone next to the speaker (turned up volume), and took my mobile with me up the roof. Then when I found the signal I moved the dish very slowly to the side until the signal stopped, and then did the same to the other side. The middle between those two points was used to fix the motor...done same with elevation...get good reception as well.

I am not knocking the various tools and programs that are available, all I am saying that to get your motor set up is possible without them. But, I will have a look at it next time I am up there. And if it works for you, that is the most important. Hopefully you will have it on the arc soon!

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
"And if it works for you, that is the most important. Hopefully you will have it on the arc soon!"
Mine is on the arc, it's bronking we are trying to help!
He seems to have gone a bit quiet: I hope he isn't up there, frozen to his ladder...

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
alterego said:
"And if it works for you, that is the most important. Hopefully you will have it on the arc soon!"
Mine is on the arc, it's bronking we are trying to help!
He seems to have gone a bit quiet: I hope he isn't up there, frozen to his ladder...

OK, you cought me out there. Of course it is bronking :-doh!

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
update::-HB

I have tried everything and i mean everything:-HB
all the angles.:-HB
that my elevation calc for thor 1w 53.26 lat, -2.512 long = elevation 29.1deg
ive swopped between sky dish and managed to get signal from astra.O-Ha
i bought a cheap sat finder.:-ohmy
a man came round who installed sky ( he couldn't get a signal from anywhere and said the only thing it could be is a duff lnb).:-HB
i bought a new lnb from a shop in sanbach.:-ohmy
and started again.:-HB
i have tried everything and i mean every..................:-HB:-HB:-HB:-HB:-HB
has somebody has nicked all the sats or whatcould it be.:-HB:-HB:-HB:-HB

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
The angle you are showing does not take into account the 'offset angle' of the dish, which is likely to be in the region of 23 deg., so your dish should be more like 6 deg. as per previously posted photo's.

:-bash