motorized anaolog setup

sirusthevirus

Reaction score
i got a motorized anaolog setup while if france last week made by elap,all seemed ok till i installed it with french only instructions,it all works but the frequency display is allways wrong,it has disc 1.2 motor drive ,i can get channels but its driving me mad,any ideas anyone..cheers p.s. it was £50 all in

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Check out the LNB settings in the receiver and make sure that they match the type of LNB supplied, it may not be a universal.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Sounds like a very good deal: Dish, LNB, Motor, Receiver and cable all for £50 ?

Could you elaborate a little on the frequency display problem? What is the display showing versus what are you receiving?

Some analog receivers, like one of my old Amstrads, don't display the first digit since it is always "1". So for example, frequency 10921 MHz it would only display "0921".

Have you tried their website?

http://www.elap.fr

edit: Only the french part of their website works.

sirusthevirus

Reaction score
thanks rolfw and simba27,the settings are quite basic as theres no on screen display,its all on the front display...i mite be able to get my mate to translate part of the book so it may tell me more..it was a good deal but they got digi sats as well but were out of stock there £60-£80,the main problem with the frequency is if i input details of a channel from lyngsat its not there on the display drequency but if i tune up and down i evently find the cahannel on a different frequency normally around 500 ish megs away,i also think the dish needs alligning better aswell as i've never put up a moving dish,i just set everthing to dead centre marks and pointed it dead south

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
sirusthevirus said:
...but if i tune up and down i evently find the channel on a different frequency normally around 500 ish megs away..

You might find you need to re-tune the L.O. (Local Oscillator) frequency in the lnb, such that actual known frequencies match on screen display frequencies. If you're feeling confident with taking things apart you can do the following:
1) Prise apart LNB
2) You should be able to distinguish two separate circuits, one for low band [10.7 to 11.7], one for high [11.7 to 12.75]
3) Each will contain a variable capacitor which can adjust the LO.
4) Tune to a low band channel on a known frequency, view on screen, adjust one of the screws - very slowly, if channel goes off screen you've found the low band adjusting screw, if not, try the other screw.
5) Once you've identified high/low band screws: tune to low band channel on know frequency, adjust the screw slightly till channel dispears off screen. Re-tune receiver - you will find the on-screen frequency is again different from what you started off with - if its closer to the known frequency you're going the right way with the screw, if not, you're going the wrong way. Use small itterations until you bring the known frequency close to on screen frequency.
6) Repeat the procedure in 5) for high band.
7) You've successfully tuned your lnb LOs.

I bought an lnb off eBay that had drifted off in this way, and wasn't able to tune to channels in higher frequency range (above 12.7GHz), so I re-tuned the high band lnb so I could get the channels I wanted (In this case: 12732.00 MHz, France 3, Analogue, Atlantic Bird 3 [5.0°W]). A picture of the said tuning screws would be nice, but I'm affraid my LNB is on a dish on the side of my house!

Of course, you could try a different LNB.

There's more on LNBs and LOs at http://www.netcentral.co.uk/satcure/lnb.htm

Happy tuning.

CTS

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Interesting.

One of my old analogue systems has a little box which connects on the coax between the receiver and dish. When you flick a switch on the box it shifts all the frequencies by 500MHz.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Simba27 said:
my old analogue systems has a little box which connects on the coax between the receiver and dish. When you flick a switch on the box it shifts all the frequencies by 500MHz.

The 'ADX plus' made by Global Communications (UK) had a connection to plug into your SCART for auto switching. Used when Astra extended the frequency range and you didn't have a universal LNB.

The main problem was that all the frequencies no longer matched when the switch was on. Don't know if they are still available, cheaper to buy a universal LNB.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Uxbridge UK
@gameboy.

Yes. That's the thing on my old receiver. Haven't used it since getting the digital system. I guess this is not related to sirus' 500MHz problem.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that we are jumping ahead of the game here, probably all that needs doing is setting the LNB correctly in the receiver.

Still have at least one of those ADX units in the garage, they can be switched to upshift or downshift.