Motorized dish with off-centered LNB

squire

Reaction score
Hi,
I´m just about to install a new DiSEqC motor SG-2100 on top of the roof. Until now I rotate my dish manually by simply turning (rotating) the mast under the roof and fix it with screws. In the past this method had given me access to Astra 19°, Hotbird 13° and Sirius 5° however changing the satellite required some inconvenience adjustment work. Rotation was geographically plain b´cause the mast was strict vertical mounted. When I install the motor, the centerline of the dish will move on a bow due to the declination between mast and motor-axis. Obviously it should follow the bow of the satellites positions. My dish´s dia is 0.8 meter and the LNB position is off-centered (squint)

Now this is my question:
When I use the motor rotating on an off-vertical axis in order to follow the bow-line that describes the satellites position on the horizont, is it mandatory to use a dish with an LNB in its center instead of a squint? With other words: Do I have to buy a new dish with an LNB in its center, or can I use the existing one?
Not to mention that I will set elevation angle and declination angle strictly in accordance with the calculation values.
An answer would be highly appreciated.
squire

PS. Location is near Duesseldorf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
use the existing one if it fits well to the pole on the motor you have bought

Elevation is in effect the height Dusseldorf is from the equator, declination is a calculation based on your location

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hello Squire, the SG-2100 is a great little motor, have set a couple up recently. Providing the pole is straight, you set the lattitude correctly on the motor body and mount the dish straight on the arm, you should have a relatively easy installation.

Looks like 5E should be your best due South reference, so if you have an analogue receiver you can set up on Cyprus sat.

squire

Reaction score
Hi m8´s
thank you very much for your advice. You encourage me to stay with the existing dish. I will complete the installation next week and report my findings.
Have a nice weekend!
squire

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Hello M8,

I have a link for a how to do install here: IT GETS EDITTED OUT, will pm you.
copy and paste in the browser.
Cheers, good luck m8.

Cor.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that link is one of only ten words cut by the auto censor Cor, the rest are expletives. :D Too many blatant plugs in the past, problem is, the more you make the board free from restictions, the more likely someone will take advantage.