Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This video has useful info about what the model letters mean on old Motorola kit. The important characters are the 4th 5th & 7th ones which are the frequency band , the power output & the bandwidth

Taking the above example
H05RDD9AN4DN
R means its UHF 403-470MHz
D means its 4-5W
9 means its programmable bandwidth.

DOS programming software tracked down, cable ordered, I will see what happens when I get around to playing. :D UHF is pretty useless up here out in the boonies, so we will see what I can get them to do.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well after a few hassles Ive made a little progress. An internal serial card has been fitted to one of the computers, and after tinkering with settings the programming software is at least seeing the radios now. Although its decided to give an error message along the lines of "incorrect cable for radio" Which it isnt.... so Im a bit stumped now.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im FINALLY getting somewhere with this project. AFter many hours faffing around with dosbox on win 7 & win10 computers I borrowed a very elderly laptop (2004 vintage) from the junk pile at work, (somehow it missed getting chucked out years ago!) found a pukka set of dos 6.22 floppy disks hidden deep in a draw and Ive wiped the drive & put dos on it - amazinghgly the fdd stll works on it. Its got a built in serialport on it.

I got the Motorola HT1000 software to connect to the radio, but it then said cannot be used with this radio or words to the effect. This is the proper software for the visars but it cannot be used with the 9AN4BN type. Only the 9AA4BN type. So I found a comment online that the GP900 software can be used to program the visars so I grabbed that. Success - sort of. I got it to read the radio eventually, and I can save the file and alter the transmission parameters, but comms between the laptop & the radio is erratic in the extreme. Im womdering if this laptop is still too fast for the radio. It wont write the codeplug back to the radio once its been altered atm. However Ive got much further than I had so Im content with progress.

Last edited: