mounting 500s? Anyone got it to work???

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Moteck Rotor, 1m Gibertini Antenna, 80cm Triax Humax LNB's on 13&19E. 2 Dreambox DM500s. Gemini Images. Compaq p4, 3.2ghz notebook. House on the Adriatic Coast, Croatia :)
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
hi,

ive had a dreambox for a year now (dm500,) and have never had a successfull nfs/cifs mount, i've seen many images boasting the capability for this box but none has worked for me. I want it so i can record and playback on the tv. Currently using Ngrab and it works great but i need to be able to play the files back on the telly! Has anyone got this to work with a 500??? would really like to know. thanks

costasd3

Dreambox Emu Tamer
Reaction score
csx25 said:
hi,

ive had a dreambox for a year now (dm500,) and have never had a successfull nfs/cifs mount, i've seen many images boasting the capability for this box but none has worked for me. I want it so i can record and playback on the tv. Currently using Ngrab and it works great but i need to be able to play the files back on the telly! Has anyone got this to work with a 500??? would really like to know. thanks

try
mount -t cifs -o rw,nolock xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ppppp /ddddd

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip of the pc
ppppp is the shared folder on the pc
ddddd is the point where you want it mounted

undertow

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
Greece
i have mounted it,but have only managed to record movies on pc and playbac on tv.How is it possible to mount the var/keys into the pc HDD??Cause space on my dreambox is running out...

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Moteck Rotor, 1m Gibertini Antenna, 80cm Triax Humax LNB's on 13&19E. 2 Dreambox DM500s. Gemini Images. Compaq p4, 3.2ghz notebook. House on the Adriatic Coast, Croatia :)
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
undertow said:
i have mounted it,but have only managed to record movies on pc and playbac on tv.How is it possible to mount the var/keys into the pc HDD??Cause space on my dreambox is running out...
thanks for all the replies guys, still trying but no luck. Undertow, are you using CIFS? And windows? What type of account on windows do i create? just a windows user account under control panel? that doesnt seem right at all.

All i have done is made a folder set called Dreambox/Movie on a partition and then made it available to sharing on network by right clicking and ticking the boxes in the options under properties. Is that all that needs to be done with CIFS? Tried long time ago with NFS but didnt work. All i want to do is be able to play back recordings on the dreambox.

I need the CIFS plugin installed on the dreambox too right? after its installed do i need to do something to activate it?

undertow

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
Greece
just download the cifs howto from the idiots guide.It fully describes the whole proccess.The only extra thing I had to do was to allow from my firewall traffic from/to the ip of dreambox.
Can anyone answer to my problem ???

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Hi m8
Took me ages to get CIFS working smoothly but it can be done so don't give up.
Does depend on what image you are using. (The gemini mount point likes to be hdd but other images I have found works with /mnt) Anyhoo, this is what works for me - give it a go:

I am using Gemini 2.20 on my 500S. On the PC hdd first create a folder called 'a' or anything you like and within that folder create a subdirectory called 'hdd' and then within 'hdd' folder create another sub-directory called 'movie'. Right click on all of these folders and click the share properties.

The following is what I have in my Mount Menu.

IP: 10.0.1.5 (This is the IP address of my PC which i will Record on)
Dir: a (This is the folder I have created on the PC)
LocalDir: /hdd
Options: rw
Extra: nolock,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
User: This is the 'Windows' computer name you set up when you installed Windows - REALLY IMPORTANT
Pass: Password you set up for the above Windows user when you first installed Windows - Again Really important this bit
Automount: Check this box

then press mount and you should be greeted with a success message. Then Save and you're done. When you record it will automatically record to CIFS.

Like I say, the crucial bit (well for me anyway) was the User and Pass. it HAS to be the details for the 'windows' computer user.
The above might not be 100% spot on but it's what worked for me and I spent weeks on it!!! Give it a go and let me know how you go.

Good luck m8

Slayter

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
thanks for the help slayter. so the dirs you made on the PC were something like c:\a\hdd\movie and not c:\dreambox\movie??? Have you also installed the CIFS plugin or did the image already contain it?

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Yeah mate, spot on - it doesn't matter what you call the directory as long as within it it holds the hdd and then the movie subdirectories. The reason i called mine 'a' was because it's quicker when filling in the details on the mount menu with your dream remote.

Didn't bother with the plugin for CIFS - the image has it built in (well Gemini does)
If Gemini doesn't work for you try PLi Amber - another very nice image.

one point to note on the Pli Amber is you don't need the hdd subdirectory so it ould be just the 'a' directory with 'movie' sub-directory. Also mount point in menu would be /mnt

Slayter

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
thanks again for the help slayter but it just aint working for me here. ill get there in the end though.

@costa: I've tried a few different telnet commands, most of them just timing out. the closest i've got was just now with the command: "mount -t cifs -o user=dream,password=dream//192.168.0.1/dreambox /hdd" The response im getting is: "can't find /hdd in etc/fstab" I've also tried changing the local dir to: /mnt; and /var/mnt/hdd. Getting the same response each time.

Feel like im getting closer now though. Any ideas with that?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Gemini looks for a folder called movies, so create a folder called dreambox\movies on your pc.

Re-read the guide written by PCD- it works ;)

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
mhku said:
Gemini looks for a folder called movies, so create a folder called dreambox\movies on your pc.

Re-read the guide written by PCD- it works ;)
yes, ive read the guide over and done everything it says with no luck. dont know why, thanks anyway

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You've created the user and given them permission to access the dreambox/movies folder? IP addresses are correct and the path in your dreambox file is correct?

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
mhku said:
You've created the user and given them permission to access the dreambox/movies folder? IP addresses are correct and the path in your dreambox file is correct?
yes, i've created a user. given access to my shared folder "dreambox." i assume that gives access to all sub-folders too, so i left the "movie" folder. And by the way i've called it "movie" not "movieS." IPs are correct. And yes, the path is correct in my DB, i hope anyway. The share on my pc is "dreambox" and i've put that in the db.

Im thinking it may be the path of the local share that is the problem, because like i said before, when i tried to do it via telnet it said "cant find /hdd in etc/fstab." tried a few different paths with same result.

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Hi m8
I just had a crash this morning and had to reset all my 500S settings including my CIFS mount.
Made a folder called 'a' on my PC drive. Sub folder in 'a' called 'hdd' and a subfolder in 'hdd' called 'movie' (not movies)

All folders set to share.

Then input on the dreambox all relevant details. Mount point i left to /mnt.

I had to de a reboot of the dreambox (complete power off and on again) and it then mounts fine and records straight away.

Hope you get there m8 as I remember how frustrating this was first time round for me.

Slayter

PS - Just read the other posts in this thread and I'm not saying the info I'm giving you is 100% correct in terms of other tutorials - it's just what worked for me.

Sharkey98se

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sirius and Thor, PC
My Location
Sweden
csx25 said:
yes, i've created a user. given access to my shared folder "dreambox." i assume that gives access to all sub-folders too, so i left the "movie" folder. And by the way i've called it "movie" not "movieS." IPs are correct. And yes, the path is correct in my DB, i hope anyway. The share on my pc is "dreambox" and i've put that in the db.

Im thinking it may be the path of the local share that is the problem, because like i said before, when i tried to do it via telnet it said "cant find /hdd in etc/fstab." tried a few different paths with same result.

For me it didn't work until I gave access to subfolder "movie" too

B.R.
Sharkey

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Just about to suggest that. I think that could be it.

dr.gonzo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
north
im about to put my foot through every bit of kit i have shortly, im realy starting to loose me rag over this.
i succsessfully mounted cifs yesterday (cant remember exactly how)but had to reset my system and need to set it back up again!
ive followed evey guide step by step and it just wont mount correctly!
because it worked yesterday my p.c. side nust be right but ive tried every combination possible in my db menu and its just not happening.
so ill go back to the start!
ip address! how do i find it exactly?so i can meke sure its right.
ive created a folder 'a' and in it a folder 'hdd' in that a folder 'movie' and theyre set to share.
so if this the case what should i input into the following fields of the dm500 menu?
dir ?
local dir ?
where do i put the //////.......and what goes where?
i just cant understand how one day it worked then the next i cant fathom it. im convinced they have moods!
someone please stop me from stomping it.
thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
YOU set the IP address of your dreambox in expert settings.

The IP address of your PC is either fixed (and set by you) or dynamic.

It is a BAD idea to have a folder called "a"- call it something meaningful like "dreambox".

Re-read the guide by PCD, it will clarify the dir and local dir settings (ie your PC path and Dreambox path). ie the PC path will be the path when you are on your pc e.g. c:\dreambox\ and the dreambox path will be something like \var\

ac3bf1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 on LAN with computer
My Location
Rome Italy
hey guys, new to the forum.....
i am trying to create a few users with permissions only on a folder lets say.
\\hdd\movie\user1\ with read and write permission lets say

any ideas?
have searched around but no luck :S (probably i dont know what to look for...)
:(

John