Movies greater than 2GB

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
I have changed my record settings to record movies as one file. Some of the files are now 3 and 4GB. When I ftp to the box I can only see files with a maximum size of 2GB. Does anyone know a way around this? I need to copy the large files over to my PC. I am using the PLI Diamond image.

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
i'm not familiar with the diamond recorder,but most recorders i'v used have 'max file size' -if recording in mpeg-2,this would make about 3 + files for a 2 hour recording. @ maxfile size=1gb..these would also burn directly to 'dvd'
what format are you saving the files to??
'boxnut'

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
And remember Windows has a file size limit- think it is 4GB for FAT (but it could be NTFS!). I would recommend a smaller size and letting Nero sort it out if you're burning them to DVD. Look at any P2P site, any 4.5G downloads are split into smaller file sizes.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
had the same problem a few years ago, when i first started burning DVDs

FAT32 OS dont like 4 gig files, i used Record Now Max to make images... it has an option to automatically cut it ito smaller chunks (2x2 gig and 1x400mb)
but when i next formatted my system i changed to NTFS and this system allows bigger files :) problem solved.

if you dont want the hasstle of formatting just yet, get your hands on Partition Magic 7 or above, this can convert a FAT32 system to a NTFS one on the fly without losing any data....thats magic!!! (as Mr Daniels would say lol)
if you havent got Partition Magic 7, PM me :)

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
My PC uses NTFS. I can't see the bigger than 4GB on the Dreambox when I FTP to it. When I telnet into the box I can see they are there then.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
i had the same problem and could not find a solution. you will need to find some program which will run on dreambox, and split the file into small pieces

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
I have the same problem using pli Diamond - when I ftp or connect via samba, not all of my recorded files show up. However, I can see them when I press 'bouquet' and go to file mode, and they play ok. I can also download through the web interface, and if I reboot into a different image (e.g. Gemini 2.7) they are all there when I ftp, so it looks like a bug with the ftp and samba implementation in pli Diamond.

Apart from this, I find the pli image to be excellent, so I currently just put up with it and reboot into Gemini 2.70 when I want to download files.

As you are using ntfs on your pc like me, the 4gb fat limit is irrelevent (fat32 has a filsize limit in the terrabytes so I don't know why anyone brought this up in the first place as using fat on hard disks went the way of the dinosaur years ago...)

steve.milner

Reaction score
My Location
Kidderminster, Worcester
No, FAT32 does have issues with 4gb+ files. Stu is kinda confused. FAT16 had maximum allocation units shortfall, ie total size of disk. That's what he's thinking of. True, FAT32 can support many terrabytes I believe, but INDIVIDUAL files cannot be bigger than 4gb, or it freaks. My solution? Partition hard disc, keep one as FAT32 for ease of recovery should it all go t1ts up, and have another one as NTFS as that handles massive files with ease.