Moving to Seattle - n

SkiCrazeee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
seattle, USA
Hi all.............

I am looking for some advice and seems like we have some experts in this forum so here goes.

I currently live in the UK and have only 'normal' TV (the five channels). I will be moving to Seattle in the US and as many know TV in the US is not great. Ideally, I would like to be able to get UK TV in the US via my new sattelite/cable set up (still to be decided).

What is the easiest way to be able to have my US set up but also have the BBC channels, ITV and Channel 4. Do I need to buy a system in the UK and take it to the US or something else.

I am a novice who likes British TV and does not want to lose it,

Help! Thanks

Ski...............

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I am a novice who likes British TV and does not want to lose it,
In that case stay here!

None of the British channels are available in the USA (apart from a couple of export BBC services carried on some satellites.)

Dont take any sat kit with you, all the encryptions etc are different, and most of the lnbs are different too - many US sats use circular polarisation.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
BBC world or BBC america is carried on american satellites. You can watch BEEB programs on that, channel 4 usually imports from US (Lost, friends) which are carried on ABC and FOX. ITV makes its own stuff so you will not be able to view any of thier content, and to replace channel 5 youll want some kind of mature content channel. All available in the US. The main difference between american TV and english is the advertisments, often every 10 mins opposed to every 20mins. Hope this helps

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
BBC plan to show their programmes via the Internet - that may be an option...

You can listen to BBC radio and watch news etc at present.

In the future all channels may offer internet subscription services - who knows.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
When BBC show over the internet they will be able to see your IP address and will not let people out of the english IP address system watch the content. Because they have not paid thier license fee.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Third party anonymous proxies based in the UK get round that problem easily.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
AlexBellisBrown said:
BBC world or BBC america is carried on american satellites. You can watch BEEB programs on that, channel 4 usually imports from US (Lost, friends) which are carried on ABC and FOX. ITV makes its own stuff so you will not be able to view any of thier content, and to replace channel 5 youll want some kind of mature content channel. All available in the US. The main difference between american TV and english is the advertisments, often every 10 mins opposed to every 20mins. Hope this helps

Many of the UK channels on sat and Freeview have ads every ten minutes. I think the 20 min rules is for the main UK channels 1-5. Some US channels inc the main evening news have ads every few minutes towards the end of the news broadcast.