Moving to Spain

Stegopax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have just bought a TBS6903.

I am moving to Spain & need to source a cheap large motorised dish. I have been advised I need a 1.95+ Prime Focus. I don't want to bay the exorbitant prices I've been quoted for new. I want used / second-hand.

I need the large dish to please the family so they can view UK TV & want motorised to feed hunt for fun (hence the TBS6903).

I am new to all of this!!
My Location
Currently UK - Soon South East Spain
I've always fancied satellite feed hunting and now I'm moving to Spain I can make it a reality.

But I also need to please the family with UK TV.

I've been advised I need a 1.95 Prime Focus and the prices I'm being quoted are prohibitive. And these prices are for fixed.

I want motorised. And have a flat roof I can pop it on.

I'm thinking there must be a second-hand market in Spain for these huge dishes. Unused / Unwanted / Old etc. But I can't find anything online.

I've been advised to join this forum as there's a wealth of knowledge & expats on here.

I'm new to all of this.

Does anybody know where to source cheap big dishes like this?

Cheers

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Even second hand, that size of dish commands large sums of money. Whilst there are commercial set-ups for larger dishes exist, again prices would be extortionate but no doubt there will be second hand equipment available to motorise such a large dish, it is just a case of finding it and being patient The shear forces when subjected to windy conditions would be enormous thus putting a flat roof mount out of the question. You would need a large concrete pad to anchor such a beast. There are many threads on the forum explaining how to construct a concrete pad.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
As it might be important in determining (guessing!) what size dish you'll need for UK TV can you say more precisely what part of East Spain it'll be?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Stegopax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

I am moving to Spain & need to source a cheap large motorised dish. I have been advised I need a 1.95+ Prime Focus. I don't want to bay the exorbitant prices I've been quoted for new. I want used / second-hand.

I need the large dish to please the family so they can view UK TV & want motorised to feed hunt for fun (hence the TBS6903).

My Location
Hi @PaulR I'm moving to Lorca (Murthia) and am currently still in the UK

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Put up a fixed dish for the UK channels and use a separate one for the hobby.

According to the report on the map linked in my signature you are going to need at least a 1.8m dish if you want the BBC & ITV channels on the uk spotbeam in Lorca. A 1m or 1.2m motorised will give you excellent reception of many feeds around the arc.

The 1.8m will need installing by someone who knows what they are doing. And it will need to be a decent quality one as well.

Stegopax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Put up a fixed dish for the UK channels and use a separate one for the hobby.

Yep, I'm coming to the same conclusion.

OK, so far I've managed to buy a TBS6903. What type of 1.2m motorised dish should I aim for to get started as a feed hunting hobby?

Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
OK, so far I've managed to buy a TBS6903. What type of 1.2m motorised dish should I aim for to get started as a feed hunting hobby?

A Channel Master 1.2m dish or a Gibertini 1.25m dish are popular choices. Both can be motorised.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
A Channel Master 1.2m or a Gibertini 1.2m (there are no 1.25m dishes available... it is seller's trick to sell better).

Stegopax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Ooops, my mistake :(

No worries! I'm on the hunt now.

Do you guys recommend any particular type of motor? Apparently my TBS6903 has "Support for DiSEqC2.X and Motor" which means nothing to me at this stage.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
No worries! I'm on the hunt now.

Do you guys recommend any particular type of motor? Apparently my TBS6903 has "Support for DiSEqC2.X and Motor" which means nothing to me at this stage.

You can use either a 36 volt motor or a DiSEqC motor. Personally for a 1.2m dish I would use a 36 volt motor. If you go for the 36 volt motor then a linear actuator with a polar mount for the dish is an option. The other option is an H-H motor with an adapter plate to secure the dish to.

A popular combination is the now out of production Jaeger 1224 motor with a 1.2m channel master dish. The Jaeger 1224 motor was shipped with an adapter plate that the channel master dish bolted on to directly. This type of setup can still be found for sale second hand on eBay.

There was also a polar mount available off the shelf for a channel master 1.2m dish, you would use this with a linear actuator. I think there may be an off the shelf polar mount available for a Gibertini 1.2m dish, again it would be used with a linear actuator.

On the subject of linear actuators, the market is awash with cheap Chinese clones. They do the job for a time but tend not to last many years. A genuine Superjack actuator if you can find one is probably your best option or an older second hand actuator that is still working could be OK.

Stegopax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
@moonbase

I actually found that one this morning when I was searching. My problem was it being collect from Bournemouth.

It looks perfect for my needs though doesn't it.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@moonbase
I actually found that one this morning when I was searching. My problem was it being collect from Bournemouth.
It looks perfect for my needs though doesn't it.

You could try the AnyVan website to get a transporter to collect and deliver the setup for you. If you are not familiar with AnyVan it is a website where customers post a job and transporters bid for the work in a reverse type of auction to eBay, ie, bidding reduces the price downwards.

superpascu2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ATLAS HD100 - ASTRA 19,2 + HOTBIRD 13 + 28,2 1.2m famaval
My Location
Alicante
When you come todo Spain try an app called wallapop. It is a second hand app and you Will find 1.8m dishes from people who have bought houses to english expacts arround the costa blanca. I have just seen one for just 90€. Near Valencia.

itchybag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1 stab motor with VU+ SOLO 4k, dm800, prof 7500
My Location
earth
stick a 1.2 on 27.5w for the basic uk channels

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.