moving var to pc

mackis5

Reaction score
Is it possible to mount /var on pc? I always have luck of space on my 5620.
I have no problem mounting the pc via cifs or nfs (rather not use nfs since I use windows environment and it requires the Windows UNIX server, or PROnfs 2.4)
I use the hydra 1.09 img.

Btw, I tried to use dcc2.3 as well as FW5.0 to create img on my harddrive but I guess the 5620 does not support this feature, since either it fails during setup or the img wont start, when I choose the new image during boot.

With FW5.0, I get error 503, after the setup is almost complete. I checked the pc and it installed more or less all, but its not bootable (FW installed the new boot image on my DB box).

With dcc2.3 I am not even able to create the virtual image. The boot flash on DB is possible though.

fati

Reaction score
mackis5 said:
I use the hydra 1.09 img.

Hydra1.09 for 5620 ????
I thougt that hydra1.09 was only for 7000 and 7020, or am i wrong?

mackis5

Reaction score
fati said:
Hydra1.09 for 5620 ????
I thougt that hydra1.09 was only for 7000 and 7020, or am i wrong?
There is a beta version as far as I understand - 3030_hydra56xx_phoenix_109.img

Anyhow, I changed it and found the first real stabil img - Gemini_104_56x0_18032005.img. I just love it, and no lockups anymore. You can form it in an easy way to fit your needs.

The question remain:
How can I move /var to my harddisk on my XP? I tried to follow a guide, where you mount a NFS, then move the directories inside VAR to the NFS share, and make symlinks to each directory. When I telnet to the dreambox, all looks fine, except that my symlinks are white and the originals are in blue. I changed the chmod to 777 just to be sure duing the test.
When I then softboot the DB, It hangs. I guess this is because the mounting procedure comes to late. Can I change this somewhere to force the mounting earlier before the /var loads? As far as I understand I cant edit the init start up files? If you can, please tell me how.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Do you really want to have your PC on all the time your Dreambox is running?

No /var, no work!

mackis5

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Do you really want to have your PC on all the time your Dreambox is running?
:) I have 4 computers running 24/7

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, and I thought it was just me... :D

fati

Reaction score
If you have a gemini1.04 then check settings on 'Blubutton>Extra settings' there is an option to move var folder.

Havent tryed yet but maby it works.

mackis5

Reaction score
fati said:
If you have a gemini1.04 then check settings on 'Blubutton>Extra settings' there is an option to move var folder.

Havent tryed yet but maby it works.

I played around with this earlier today. The problem is that it creates a duplicate on the DB as well, so then its no point since you anyhow fill the memory up. It reported 92% filled up on DB and 21 % on the hdd share.

I tried to remove it, but just the var on the computer disappeared. I must do something wrong here...

jackfrost_

Reaction score
mackis5 said:
I played around with this earlier today. The problem is that it creates a duplicate on the DB as well, so then its no point since you anyhow fill the memory up. It reported 92% filled up on DB and 21 % on the hdd share.

I tried to remove it, but just the var on the computer disappeared. I must do something wrong here...

I am running the latest Gemini
I have /hdd mounted on a remote machine via CIFS (configured through the web browser).
I have created /hdd/bin, /hdd/keys, /hdd/scce and /hdd/tuxbox (the large directories).
I have copied /var/bin to /hdd/bin etc..
I have removed /var/bin etc..
I have soft linked /var/bin to /hdd/bin etc...

I have got everything working successfully via a wired 100Mbps network.

I have tried to add a swapfile over the mounted network, with no success (not that it is really necessary).

You can even be selective, for example .. add the files for a large application such as the EPG to /hdd, and soft link those files only. That way CAMS work even if your PC is off, and the EPG works if the PC is on.

Regards,

Jack

mackis5

Reaction score
jackfrost_ said:
I have soft linked /var/bin to /hdd/bin etc...
Good for you! What is soft link? Please reply with the exact commands. If you mean symlinks, then this didnt work for me, since the nifs was mounted to late during the boot.

jackfrost_

Reaction score
mackis5 said:
Good for you! What is soft link? Please reply with the exact commands. If you mean symlinks, then this didnt work for me, since the nifs was mounted to late during the boot.

Yep, softlink is a type of symlink (the command is 'ln -s').
I can't remember the exact sequence, unfortunately.
I do start the CAM manually blue/yellow buttons.

If you want to start your own programs before enigma starts, you can take advantage in /etc/init.d/rcS, where it runs /var/tuxbox/start_enigma if it exists.

You need to create start_enigma, and repeat the code from the bottom of rcS. You can then add any commands is that you like (I am using it to experiment with different 'enigma' programs).

Hope this helps.

Jack
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/bin/update_tmp.sh
touch /tmp/.enigma
# Add one-off runtime parameters / programs here
#
while [ -e /tmp/.enigma ]
do
# Add programs to run before enigma here
#