mpeg and mp2 confusion

rhurbarb

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi satellite friends.I cant get my head round a Dvd im converting from my mini dvd disc onto my dreambox 7000s .I have been told to use programs like tmpg or imtoo to change the audio from ac3 to mp2 or mp3.But for some reason i cant get the audio to marry up with the video which is mpeg2.
Tried many hours now and the more i play the worse it gets...i thought it was just a case of spliting the ts on project x -converting the mpeg audio to mpa or mp3 then using project x to merge the files to ts and play away.Im not even sure if my video is pal or ntsc .im guessing at pal but other programs seem to confuse me with the bitrate stuff especially the bitrate part.
Bit rate lowest is obvious as is bit rate highest is to but whats the 3 bitrate part why is there 3 options i dont get it ?....Hope this makes some sense to somebody ..If anybody could help that would be amazing with Regards rhurbarb O-st

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
im converting from my mini dvd disc onto my dreambox 7000s

??

You're converting a .ts into DVD files or are your converting DVD files into .mpg files to play on your Dreambox (and if that's the case the question would be "why bother?!")?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You've been online since you posted this- have you sorted it?

rhurbarb

Reaction score
My Location
uk
So sorry i lost my shortcut to this question..Yes i have sorted it after 3 weeks .I was converting dvd to ts so i could view my films on my dreambox.I love my dreambox :) even though its took (1000s of frustrating hours )away from my social life so i prefer to use it more than my dusty dvd player...The main reason for this were my holiday dvds which came to 10gigs
I wanted to flick through when neccesary i felt the need .Instead of loading discs which i cant stand..cheers Rhurbarb

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Was there anything in particular that you had to do - in case anyone has the same problem and is reading this?

:)

rhurbarb

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Well i must admit theres not much info on this topic that i could find but if anyone wants to upload their favourite dvds onto there dreambox It can be done pretty easily .:)

rhurbarb

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Ok step by step guide. you need the following programs .Vob merge-vlc -project x and cute ftp
1st download vob merge ,upload your dvd vob files into vob merge and press merge .That puts say 3 vobs into 1 file/
2nd step download vlc and open it up. then follow this file-open-browse -find your dvd which has just been merged which will be 1 vob file-then click on stream-settings-then on the stream output page- click file browse then make a folder which the file will be stored too.I recommend you write down which folder its being saved to as you can easily lose it .You can follow the vlc instructions again and find it so dont panic
Make sure the encapsulation methods ticked on mpeg ts.
click the video box changed to mp2v -bitrate must be 3072 -scale 1
Audio codec mga -bitrate 192 -channels 2
Then press ok and it will save it .
Then open project x -make sure the pull down option on the left hand side is set to ts not demux.watch where the files saves it in the top right hand corner and it will make a ts file .then ftp to your dreambox using cute ftp or your own prefered program
Obviously are other programs which do simular things but this one works for me .Ive transfered a holiday dvd which isnt coded so i dont need to use dvd shrink or decryptor 1st before vob merge.
Hopes this is some help to someone in dire staits .I was lol
Regards Rhurbarb;) Enjoy

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can stream a DVD from your PC to the Dreambox using VLC on your PC and a VLC plugin on the Dreambox.

I've never got it to work though.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox-general/43152-dvd-computer-dreambox.html

rhurbarb

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Yea i tried it but it kept hanging on mine .I wonder if you can play off the harddrive instead cause you can hold bigger files;)