MR & Windows found G-M device - which driver to use?

manikm

Reaction score
hiya all,

ive got my laptop to find the MR at last - but it comes up with found G-M device, then i need the driver, which driver should i use?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you read the thread by Tutut, I pointed to it in an earlier thread, he really does cover every eventuality.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
manikm said:
hiya all,

ive got my laptop to find the MR at last - but it comes up with found G-M device, then i need the driver, which driver should i use?

Also depending what version of windows you are using you may have to drag and drop the drivers into 'System'!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm going to do my other laptop over the next couple of days, so hopefully I'll have some fresh experiences to add to the pot. :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
@ Rolfw......good luck! :D

manikm

Reaction score
guys! done it.

i work in IT, so that helped.

3 of my Dell Laptops with either win2k or xp failed, no matter what i tried with the PCMCIA drivers.

i ended up using, GET THIS, a 1995 Commodore (of all makes) PC laptop!!!!!! it had win95 on it - but when i put the MR in, it detected it fine, so i painfully upgraded the OS today to Win98 (non SE2) and have finally done it!!

The update went through lovely - how it should be really!

My MR is now the latest version - and to think, i was gonna bin this laptop. LOL!

Now i need to figure out what this CAM can do for me...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Perhaps we ought to start a list of CAM friendly Laptops and operating systems.

My last one was a Compaq Presario, 560Mhz running W98se, worked like a dream. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Something to do with the Dell Laptop and the PCMCIA module operating voltage (3.0 and 3.3 volts or something like that )

Apparently the cartridge slot mechanics (a ridge on one side of the CAM module) is supposed to tell the laptop whether it can or cannot power the CAm, but of course this never works (or one forces the CAM beyond the protection limiters).

Technology eh?

manikm

Reaction score
since upgrading my MR, my goldie dont wanna work no more for seca!? no more absat for me!

:(

and the MR isnt decrypting channels on its own either.

double :(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Is the receiver recognising the CAM?

You can always flash it back to an earlier version if it doesn't work.

manikm

Reaction score
hmm i reprogged it, with the 1.07 again, and its working fine now, i was sweating their for a bit.
:)
wow, cant beleive what ive acheived in a week really, its really cool!!! all the probs with getting my dish to find a signal etc, then all this with the MR

i would be have been lost without you mate, thanks so much.

question:
what are the odds of the next release of the MR firmware to inc seca2?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
manikm said:
question:
what are the odds of the next release of the MR firmware to inc seca2?

Not personally optimistic, I get the impression that the mention of the upcoming 1.08 was a bit of whistling in the dark, love to be proved wrong though. :)

manikm

Reaction score
LOL! with free-xtv also would be nice...

hey, is it normal for the cam to stop working, and a reboot of box gets the channels back?

i waas watching a certain channel, then scrambled came up - a power off\on again got the channel back -weird...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that can happen with some receivers more than others. I sometimes found that just moving the channel up and down would solve the problem.

manikm

Reaction score
not good if your recording, and go to bed.
:(
im gonna try the version previous firmware 1.06