MRV cam problems

aatt1111

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic receiver
I have a couple of questions that I would like some help with.

I have been reading that Multivision has been frequently changing their encryption protocol. There has been talk about Viaccess 2 and TPScrypt. Anybody knows what are the basic differences between both?

From time to time, I have seen 16-bit keys for the TPS package, while in the past we used to use 8-bit (Viaccess 1). Where do we need to make any changes in order to update to 16-bit, in the cam module or in the receiver, and how is this done?

Last week, when TPS changed to Viaccess 1, my MRV cam was able to open. After a few days, apparently the encryption system changed and now it is gone, even though I updated with the new 2.25 bin file. What could be the possible causes (I exclude incompatibility between module and receiver because it opened the channels in the past).

Thanks!

bob1947

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 2110Ci Via. 2 dishes, 1 60 and 1 90cm.
Astra 19/28 and Hotbird 13 e MR cam. and an ancient Winphoenix antique Smartmouse programmer and a few 16f 84 cards!
My Location
sw england
I use an MRV with my Echostar 2110 2Ci Via and am still using the mrv224.upd file update from 13 05 2005 and it is still working on tps package. A few odd channels have gone down, but all I really watch are films so I haven't bothered with recent updates.
Bob

I have a couple of questions that I would like some help with.

I have been reading that Multivision has been frequently changing their encryption protocol. There has been talk about Viaccess 2 and TPScrypt. Anybody knows what are the basic differences between both?

From time to time, I have seen 16-bit keys for the TPS package, while in the past we used to use 8-bit (Viaccess 1). Where do we need to make any changes in order to update to 16-bit, in the cam module or in the receiver, and how is this done?

Last week, when TPS changed to Viaccess 1, my MRV cam was able to open. After a few days, apparently the encryption system changed and now it is gone, even though I updated with the new 2.25 bin file. What could be the possible causes (I exclude incompatibility between module and receiver because it opened the channels in the past).

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
TPS has been available on a goldcard since mid April :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm afraid I don't do CAM's, but WRT the encryption changes :-

TPS have been using TPScrypt, a modified version of Viaccess1 for a long time.

They used to use (as you say) 8 byte keys, and then fairly recently went to 16 byte AES keys AKA 'TPScrypt2', and then a further minor tinker, AKA TPScrypt3.

Both upgrades were re-cracked within days. TPS sometimes (and sometimes very frequently) changed the 16 byte keys, and it was often preceded by a temporary switch back to TPScrypt1 and 8 byte keys for some unknown reason.

They also use Viaccess 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 in parallel. IIRC it's the 2.3 version that is also open, and this is what you're referring to as Viaccess2.

I believe that the plan is to switch this off this summer. I also understand that the old TPScrypt encryption has/will also cease immanently.

They also have some channels encrypted in S£CA2, and even a little Irdeto2 and Cryptoworks!!!

aatt1111

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic receiver
Thanks for all of the above.
Now regarding the crucial question, what should I do to make my cam module accept 16-byte keys, as it only accepts 8-byte keys?

alay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax 5300
88 motor dish
Hi, i also have the mrev with 2.25, and i get multivision channels but with one minor problem, in fact this happens with many encrypted channels.

If i am scanning through different channels, then my mrev struggles to decrypt, but if for example i settle o multivision, then i just have to put switch my humax off then on again, the cam re-initialises and voila the chosen channel clears and stays clear until i move through other channels ????

I dont know if this is a mrev prob , a humax prob, or both ? but i suppose its only a minor prob but id like to switch channels without having to re-initialise cam for decrypt

aatt1111 said:
Thanks for all of the above.
Now regarding the crucial question, what should I do to make my cam module accept 16-byte keys, as it only accepts 8-byte keys?