MTI AP8-TW against Invacom Twin C120

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I have conducted some tests this afternoon with my Topfield TF5000 Masterpiece which got one of the most sensitive tuners on the market.

I am a bit confused about the results, with the Topfield i can now receive the vertical transponder 10847 V tp 50 and [size=-1]10.876 V tp 52 during a short period of 1-2 Hrs at location in Stockholm, Sweden with a Fibostöp 90cm Gregorian dish maximized.

However, i can only receive this with the MTI AP8-TW LNB, the previous Invacom TWF-031 doesn't get any signal at all.

Invacom sends a measurement paper with all their LNBs which shows the performance for your particular LNB, the NF is about 0.3-0.4dB over the span 10.7-12.75GHz.

The MTI specifies it as typical 0.6dB and no measurement paper.

But the Invacom should perform better as it got a X-polarization of 30dB and the MTI got about 25dB.

I can't really figure out "why" MTI performs so much better on these low frequency channels on Astra 2D.

Please take note that my dual SMW X-line setup outperform both the Invacom and MTI but the SMW is not a consumer product and is focused for commercial use.
[/size]

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid
Just how good is the tuner on the Topfield TF 5000,is it much better than other receivers?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Likvid
Just how good is the tuner on the Topfield TF 5000,is it much better than other receivers?

Yes it is good, compared to my old Echostar DVR7000, i could not get a picture on the vertical channels on Astra 2D before, it was too much pixelation.

Now i can get a picture, however it is a very short period.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
Yes it is good, compared to my old Echostar DVR7000, i could not get a picture on the vertical channels on Astra 2D before, it was too much pixelation.

Now i can get a picture, however it is a very short period.

Its a bit pricey,i have seen 400 euros quoted,is there a difference in the tuner with say, the Topfield tf 5000 ci?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Its a bit pricey,i have seen 400 euros quoted,is there a difference in the tuner with say, the Topfield tf 5000 ci?

Don't know the difference to the 5000CI inside.

You get what you pay for as they say, i don't beleive you can get it for 400 euro.

I bought mine for 625 euros with 200GB HD and that was the cheapest in Europe, cheapest without HD is around 500 euros.

But as i say, this is a real highend receiver which performs extremely well.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Maybe i got it wrong,i looked in www.geizkragen.de and have seen a tf 5000 pvr-t 8 gb hard disk from Radcoon.de.
i did not realise that it was a video recorder as well.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
When I did the comparsion with the Fibo 90 between MTI ap8 TW and Invacom SNF 031 on 10.773 H the MTI performed 2% better and that's not much.

Vertical transponders on 2d is impossible to get down here with such dish sizes as 90-100cm.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Maybe i got it wrong,i looked in www.geizkragen.de and have seen a tf 5000 pvr-t 8 gb hard disk from Radcoon.de.
i did not realise that it was a video recorder as well.

There are two models, the old TF5000 and the new TF5000 called "Masterpiece"

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
The MTI seems to need to be closer to the focus point than the Invacom. I tried fitting them to the same 1.2m dish and the MTI needed to be closer than the Invacom, using a ChannelMaster feedhorn. This possibly might explain the difference. Try pulling them forward and back to see the best point. QDF-031 has the best performance, beats TWF-031 by 2-3% and SNF-031 by about 10% (vertical and horizonal polarities)

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
snap said:
The MTI seems to need to be closer to the focus point than the Invacom. I tried fitting them to the same 1.2m dish and the MTI needed to be closer than the Invacom, using a ChannelMaster feedhorn. This possibly might explain the difference. Try pulling them forward and back to see the best point. QDF-031 has the best performance, beats TWF-031 by 2-3% and SNF-031 by about 10% (vertical and horizonal polarities)

Can you post the MTI:s performance compared to the Invacoms?

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
steffan_st said:
I'll put it on again today and get a read-out. Will let you know later.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
With my TWF-031 the vertical channels are completely "black" screen, but the AP-8TW i actually get a picture for a very short period.

I am still amazed by MTIs performance.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
steffan_st said:
The MTI AP8TW performance is very similar or very slightly less than the Invacom Twin- about 3-4% less signal quality on BBC channels (V&H) than the Invacom Quad C120.
It may be that the MTIs are not consistent and that I have a bad example.
This in itself is a failing.
The Invacom Quads seem to be very good- the increase in signal over the other models is quite plain. Apparently they have different internal power management controls- this might be the reason.