I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
I have just brought a 60 gig harddrive.

I would like to run 4 operating systems from this drive:

Linux Red Hat 7.1
Windows XP (for work)
Winodws 98 (for my music creating stuff)
Windows 95 (for old games)

I am not sure how to do this - can anyone help?

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
@munkey: try to get hold of a copy of partition magic (8 is best), it'll sort it out for you

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Once you have the partitions sorted then a program like ‘BootIT NG’ (think you can get it from download.com) is great for handling the multi-booting.

I have been using it for XP/2000/95 for over a year with no problems, booting XP/2000 from a 30GB in 2 partitions (20 and 10G:cool: and 95 from a 10GB drive.

I also tried to install Linux Mandrake 9 last week, but as one of the CDs was corrupted it only installed the command line version! Oh well only another 1.8GB download to re-do…

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
Cheers for the info . I'll give it a crack at the weekend. :-righton

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Thought I would resurrect this thread by asking whether anyone has any experience of HyperOs. Certainly looks interesting and there's a big article on it in the latest PC Pro magazine. This is their web site. http://www.hyperos2002.com/18102002/products.htm

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
Drago0nfly: Cheers for the recomendation. I love Bootit NG.

Jimbo: I've just read the details. This is expensive, and does not look that great to me. Bootit NG is only £30 and can resize partitions (FAT32, and NTFS only). This software gets round this by intergrateing with Partition magic (which is expensive).

Bootit NG has the backup restore functionality of this software but will take longer. All the new stuff that HyperOS can do is not really that usefull in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't use it.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Thanks for taking the trouble Munkey. I think what interested me most was the ability to switch between operating systems on the fly as it were.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I would also like to do a duel boot system but my motherboard is incapable of seeing large hard drives. I do not want to flash the bios in order to fix this problem as it may damage my already demonic possessed pc from working again.

I have to put "drive overlay" software onto the hard drive, this fools the bios into seeing a 40 gig hard drive etc as an 8 gig and it boots up but as a 40 gig. I have to cold boot and not warm boot or again the bios will not detect the hard drives. But drive overlay is causing some problems for me.

1. If i pertition the drive it only sees it as an 8 gig hard drive and refuses to do the partition beyond this

2. i cannot make a ghost image of hard drive as the same problem occurs

does anyone have any solutions?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Gotta say that with the price of mother boards and processors so low these days, i would be inclined to suggest an investment of just over £100 and your problems are solved, plus you've upgraded at the same time.

Alternatively, if you can obtain the bios upgrade for nothing, it may extend the life of the PC for another year or so.