multi dish or motor

charlie

Reaction score
hi, I have a sat pci card (visiondvb) its a good card but i scrounged a mini dish from a friend, and got it on astra 2a/b/d but I want all the footy channels , mainly to watch Derby (come on you rams!) when their televised.

Now heres the question, are there certain sats that i can watch from (more scrounged dishes) or is it more likely that they are broadcast from different satellites in which case i would need a motorised system? dont wanna have to do this unless neccessary but my card supports diseq1.2/usals and i'm sure i've seen a plugin for dreamdvb(fastest responding...well quicker than ntl and visiondtv)
The front of my house is south facing so I dont know how well multi receivers would be accepted.

btw rolf will post pics of my internal setup, sure you will be impressed even though my wife is not and maybe when i sort the dishes out will show them too, do you ever meet up like in a convention?

newbie123

Reaction score
Hi charlie. I don't know the answers to all your questions because i am fairly new, had my system about a month.
I'm a little confused because it seems to me you want to watch Derby and the only way i know of is if they are on sky, which would mean you need sky.
If you want prem footy then that's a different matter. You would watch it mainly from the hotbird satellite. There are other sats that televise it i think thor 1w and sirius but these have not been h***ed as yet[may be wrong]. Anyway, i watch it on hotbird. have fun.

loftyj

Reaction score
Hi charlie.
Have not seen the Rams on any of the other satellite's they only tend to broadcast the top league matches from any country. ( Why do you watch the Rams anyway thay have not had a team since it read Goal, Woodly, backs Nicolas, Parr, half backs, Ward, Luty, Musson, Forwards, Crooks, Carter, Stamps, Doughty, Duncan),
Back to the point in this hoby the bigger the motorised dish the more fun you will have hunting for other channels.

charlie

Reaction score
Derby are playin well this season only lost one in last ten matches, Reckon they will make play off's at least.

Any way have found a web site (L.J's footy site) and they do show some championship matches on there for different sat's

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Dump all your other dishes, and go for a 90cm diseqc motorised dish. You'll be glad you did. Nothing more frustrating than knowing you could have watched a game but couldn't lock the sat.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
I am running a motor on 30" dish in North america . Also have a setup with 2 dishes on a switch .

The motor gives you more sats . The switch is faster going from one sat to another .

You pays your money and makse your choices .

By the way , running MyTheater & a Twinhan on one machine & a Nexus-S on another machine .

Wyr

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
No doubt about it.... you cannot better a large motorised dish!!...... it avoids having a satellite dish farm, needs only one set of cabling, and makes it easy to adjust for seasonal and temperature changes and also add more satellites as they appear in the satellite belt.

Like you my house faces south, but I have my dish sitting on the ground in the back garden for easy maintenance and positioned so the satellite ark can be seen with the high area over the top of the house and lower parts extreme (East & West) either side of the house.....

Click on the photo below... it's a 1.2 mtre dish by the way and is almost 12 years old..... Ive just recently replaced the motor/jack which cost me £39 and half an hour to replace.... the old jack worked ok but the part that prevented the jack poping out of its sleeve rusted through and distroyed the bearings.... so my new one gets a regular shot of Silicon grease to ensure long life..... so maintenance is so easy..... I have a multiple LNB so i can connect more receivers if I want........ I have a 80 mm Dish clamped to a tree trunk for my Sky Digibox.... So I can watch my Belly Dancing from Turkey while my Wife watches QVC on Sky.

John

charlie

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions but what do you reckon the smallest dish i could get away with is and does anyone live near derby who would be kind enough to help me set up a motor when i get one, 90 cm is a bit big for the front, cheers for the info johnc i may have to consider it but not until i've got the garden sorted (wifes orders)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
In Derby, I certainly wouldn't go smaller that 90CM.

Buy the wife off with promises of expensive holidays and jewellery, after you've got the dish up! :)