Multi-Feed Setup

lost_one

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Germany
Hi,

I live in Germany and want to install a multi-LNB setup, 9E, 13E and 16 or 23.5E...may want to add more in future.

Is an 85cm(Gibertini) dish big enough for what I want to do, or should I go for the 1M?

Multi-LNB holder - The Gibertini holders do not allow for individual LNB height adjustment, but most of the "generic" holders do, is this important, will it make the job a lot easier?

I have Inverto Black Ultra Twin LNBs...can I get 3 or 4 degree spacing? Or will I have to get slimline, e.g Alps?

Meter - If I use a cheap satfinder, am I wasting my time? Is there a meter under 200€ that will display/tell which satellite the dish is pointing at?

Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go for as large as you can dish wise. I tend to use generic offset brackets now, as I find them more adjustable.

Regarding a meter, there are quite a few meters around which are basically pocket satellite receivers and whilst they may not have a satellite identification function as such, you can use them to watch channels, you you can preset them with frequencies for relevant transponders on your key satellites.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
For a 3 degree spacing, you may want to consider slim narrow bullet LNb's; something like the inverto narrow feed. The Gibertini offset bracket does allow height movement as it is flexible. You may struggle on an 85cm dish though. As above go for as large as possible. Triax and it's LNb offset bracket is another option.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
As Rolfw has advised, I'd go for at least the 1M dish. I'm using a 1M Gibertini for 5°W,7°W and 12.5°W. Although I've utilised Gibertini's own bracket (which is well engineered and quite adjustable) you'd struggle to get a 3° spacing. I've had to attach the LNB for 5°W to the one for 7°W with a pipe clamp to achieve the right spacing. There are lots of German dealers offering generic brackets suitable for Gibertini's.

I've also used a meter that displays channels on an LCD screen (probably retails at about €120) to set up my multi sat. It's worth buying, you'd have lots of difficulty trying to use a cheap needle and tone meter for this sort of project.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
You can do 13e and 16e on a TD110 with the triax multi bracket and standard LNB's. The 13e LNB isn't quite optimal but close enough for it not to effect reception.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
There are lots of German dealers offering generic brackets suitable for Gibertini's.
Generic brackets for Gibertini's and the rest of antenna's brands are available at any shop which sells nuts and bolts, much better price and performance IMHO.

Attachments

• easyfeed.JPG
    easyfeed.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 336

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Generic brackets for Gibertini's and the rest of antenna's brands are available at any shop which sells nuts and bolts, much better price and performance IMHO.

Very enterprising! I like that a lot :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
No water proofing the connectors, Rima?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
do not see need for that, moreover, on these LNBs there is plastic cover over connector, I do not think that water will get there. I would say, in case of this particular antenna water is impossible at all, even no any moisture, cuz it is peacefully laying on my attic's floor :-crying But I have plans to install this antenna at my parent's place at 7th floor.
And I never do special waterproofing of connectors, only used the original if some LNB's have them.

Attachments

• P1250442 (Small).JPG
    P1250442 (Small).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 150

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Even if the rain dosen't get to them most of the time, moisture will. I would never recommend using screw type F connectors without weather proofing, even if all it does is stop them going rusty.

lost_one

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Germany
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to wing it with a cheapo meter, the dish will be at almost eye-level(balcony). I just can't justify spending 200€ on a meter that I'll probably never use again.

The LNB holder - do you have a link to the Gibertini holder that is individually adjustable? I can't find any.

Thanks.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France