linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
Gibertini 85cm aluminium dish
5 LNBS - 28E/23E/19/E/13E/9E
My Location
Bedfordshire
Attached photo shows my dish set up with lnb's left to right 28 e, 23e,19e(main focus),16e, 13e,9e which I put together last year before winter. There is a motor still attached on back of but is disconnected.
I get very strong signals on 4 lnbs whatever the weather except that I can't get a good enough signal on 16e and although I get reasonable signal strength on 9e, as soon as weather deteriorates signal goes off on that too.
Motor was reset to zero prior to attaching multi lnb bracket but I now recall that latitude is still set to my coordinates which makes me think that dish elevation is slightly out consequently affecting 16 an 9 east signals.
Am I correct or am talking rubbish as per usual:rolleyes:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
16E is an odd bird - quite a few of the tp's are pretty rubbish on an offset lnb ( prime is on 21.5E) here

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
Do you think that current set coordinates on motor are making dish slightly misaligned( don't really want to take motor off) ?
I have seen loads of photos of members on various satellite forums with even more lnbs on their system including 16 e without issues, that is why I assume there is a misalignment.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Going off your photo and it's description, am I correct in thinking you are using the Inverto slimline for 16E? I have 16E on a multi LNB setup on a Penta85 and as Analoguesat mentions some of the TP's vary. As a first experiment I'd move the dish focus to 16E (as 19E is so strong and can take being offset). Other than that try slim LNB's on 19E and 13E because they won't suffer as much and use an Inverto Black Ultra for 16E. By the way, the spread I have on the Penta is 16E, 13E, 9E (Focus), 5E and 5W.

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
Hi sonnetpete, thanks for advice.
I will move dish focus to 16E first as suggested, don't really want to fork cash for more lnb's if possible at moment.
Got a couple days off soon, so will post back with results:)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Just for reference, here's a couple of photo's of my set up. The whole four dish, 16 satellites and a closer view of the Penta with (left to right) 16E, 13E, 9E, 5E and 5W

Multisat setup.JPG Penta 85.JPG

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
Wow, I am impressed. That's what I call a proper satellite enthusiast:-applause

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
LOL....thanks...you can't see the 1.2M motorised Laminas dish on the other side of the house either......

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
One more question before I start tinkering with lnb's, I would ideally like to pick up thor on 0.8 west, is it feasible on this 85cms dish with focus on 16east or would I need a larger dish?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Theoretically you could (I have a Triax TD88 that covers 19E to 42E) but probably not with the bar you are presently using, I.E. you will run out of bar at the right hand side. You'll also find that to follow the satellite arc over such a spread, the bar will have to be tilted and when you try to load a larger spread of LNB's on there you may discover that the tilt will compromise your western (28E) end, too much. I've discovered, through many frustrating hours of trial and error that by using normal dishes (as opposed to toroidal ones) there's a limit to how many LNB's you can practically use. Hence my four dishes (which cover 11W to 53E).

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
Hi Sonnetpete, thanks for confirming issue with length of bar.
I actually have a second Gibertini bar which an engineer at work thinks he can adapt to extend existing bar on dish, so will it give it a go once its fitted.
Don't really want another dish if all fails, but I guess that I could install a second smaller dish for 28e and then maybe be able to pick up Thor with not such a spread on bigger dish.
Trouble with me is I can't stop tinkering, probably end up reconnecting motor LOL!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Personally, I'd go for the other dish for 28E (which can be smaller and possibly less obtrusive), re focus your existing dish on 16E and try for 1W. You may not even need to extend the bar, though is it possible to offset the bar? I.E. have more of the bar available on the RHS of the dish? Also how much height movement is there in the LNB holders?

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
Bar can be offset but there is no height adjustment/movement on LNB holders unfortunately,so not holding out too much hope in clearing all sats even with extended bar!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Trouble with me is I can't stop tinkering, probably end up reconnecting motor LOL!
That's my problem, always thinking I can get a little more out of my setup if I just switch something over there or buy a new bit for this...

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
Personally, I'd go for the other dish for 28E (which can be smaller and possibly less obtrusive), re focus your existing dish on 16E and try for 1W. You may not even need to extend the bar, though is it possible to offset the bar? I.E. have more of the bar available on the RHS of the dish? Also how much height movement is there in the LNB holders?

Ok, looking at plan B now.
Say I installed a second 60 cms dish( which I believe is within UK building regulations law) first of all,would I be able to pick up 28east and 23 east on this dish from Bedforshire?
if that is possible which sat would be main focus on existing 85cm dish to ensure strong signal on 16e and 0.8w?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Ok, looking at plan B now.
Say I installed a second 60 cms dish( which I believe is within UK building regulations law) first of all,would I be able to pick up 28east and 23 east on this dish from Bedforshire?
if that is possible which sat would be main focus on existing 85cm dish to ensure strong signal on 16e and 0.8w?

With a 60cm dish (presumably non $ly type) yes, both 28E and 23E are possible, though you may have to have a slimmer LNB for one of them. As to which sat you should use as focus it's a little more problematical. Because 16E is the most difficult you should use that at focus. Maybe you should experiment? Use the slimline LNB for 19E, focus on 16E and see how much bar you have left for 0.8W. 0.8W is in general a strong sat so having it at a considerable offset doesn't usually matter too much. The multisat reception part of this hobby is very much down to experimentation, adaption and a willingness to compromise on some reception. You'll never get great reception on all sats. But you can compromise and reach a satisfactory result.....it doesn't stop you trying though, which is it's attraction I believe.....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I successfully used a 6 degree Monoblock LNB for 28.2E and 23.5E a few years ago.

These days there are adjustable Monoblocks (Up to 12 degrees), so one of those might fit the bill.

linsladeboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
With a 60cm dish (presumably non $ly type) yes, both 28E and 23E are possible, though you may have to have a slimmer LNB for one of them. As to which sat you should use as focus it's a little more problematical. Because 16E is the most difficult you should use that at focus. Maybe you should experiment? Use the slimline LNB for 19E, focus on 16E and see how much bar you have left for 0.8W. 0.8W is in general a strong sat so having it at a considerable offset doesn't usually matter too much. The multisat reception part of this hobby is very much down to experimentation, adaption and a willingness to compromise on some reception. You'll never get great reception on all sats. But you can compromise and reach a satisfactory result.....it doesn't stop you trying though, which is it's attraction I believe.....

I have a spare Gibertini multi lnb bracket, so plan is to use it with seen this 65cms dish on fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibertini...onEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2584d881b5

Thanks everyone for valuable expert feedback, it is much appreciated.:-applause
Lots to think about there,will mull over it this weekend and probably come up with plan C :-ohcrap
By the way, my Mrs thinks I should get a life, I am beginning to to believe she may be right:-rofl2