Multi LNB v Motor

MasterAbacus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Yorkshire
So what do you guys think to me using a static dish, with 4 lnb`s on it, compared to using a motor?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If four satellites is all you want and they are all close enough together to use one dish, there is no contest, four LNBs and a switch are the answer. If you feel you may ultimately want to do a bit of roaming, or you require say 28.2, 19.2, 13, 1W and 30W, then a motor is the only option.

workshoppete

Here Now And Again
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre motorised dish ,Technomate V-box, Spiderbox 7000HD box, Windows0n desktop and laptop,. and couldnt live without Promax Prodig 5 TV Explorer.. Oh , and now ipad - so much easier and convenient
My Location
North Midlands
I've often thought that a novel way to receive several satellites would be to mount several dishes on one pole vertically, largest diameter at the bottom. That way you would maximise the signal available from each satellite.Of course it would add to the expense of extra dishes (but they are not that expensive these days) and the pole would have to be fairly tall,(and sturdy) but otherwise it should help in being able to receive marginal signals for a certain dish size requirement. Also if you wanted to change one of the satellite positions you could achieve this without too much difficulty.It will also make a good talking point in the garden.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
workshoppete said:
It will also make a good talking point in the garden.

LOL and by the neighbours and planning officer. ;)

MasterAbacus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Yorkshire
Its bad enough my dish is mounted in the garden in a plant-pot already!!!

Im not jokin either ! ! !

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
What do you want to watch? That really is the most important factor.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Think that you will need to opt for a steerable dish then, you need to receive everything from 42E to 46W to pull in the best selection.

R

robbins1940

How big would a dish need to be if it was pointing at 19.2e and had lnbs looking at 28.2, 23.5 and 13e in england?

Also how big for 5e, 1w and 5w?

I think you are better off with a motorised dish.

David

R

robbins1940

MasterAbacus said:
Its bad enough my dish is mounted in the garden in a plant-pot already!!!

Im not jokin either ! ! !

But they don't mind you having an aerial though. But put up a small dish and you think you had the plaugue or something.

David

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The size of dish for 1.0 west and 5.0 east etc, depends upon your receiving location, normally for the UK at least a 1.2MTR is required for the 5.0 east satellite location.

Please confrim your exact location and then we can help furher

Regards

Old Satellite

R

robbins1940

I wanted to know how big the dish would have to be if i had it in this setup as you look at the dish face 5 east being in the centre:-

l - c - r
10e,7e - 5e - 1w, 5w

And 19.e being centre:-

l - c - r
28.2e , 23.5 -19.2e - 13e

I am in Durham

David