multi-LNB vs. motorised system

st_net

Reaction score
I am new to the satallite TV, and need some advises.
1. I suppose a motorised system will have a better reception than that of multi-lnb system because it is directly facing the bird. And for multi-LNB system, what is the angle range of satallites one can see from multiple LNBs without moving the dish?

2. Is bigger dish always better?

3. I am in Southwest US, how can I find what receiver to use for satallites/channels I want to watch? Fortec, Coship, BEC or Pansat, which one is general better receiver?

Steve

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
st_net said:
1. I suppose a motorised system will have a better reception than that of multi-lnb system because it is directly facing the bird. And for multi-LNB system, what is the angle range of satallites one can see from multiple LNBs without moving the dish?
A multi LNB set-up will allow for faster channel switching and the dish can be secured better - motor systems tend to move more in the wind.
Angle range depends on the power of the satellites and the size of the dish - bigger is better in this case.

See above

3. I am in Southwest US, how can I find what receiver to use for satallites/channels I want to watch? Fortec, Coship, BEC or Pansat, which one is general better receiver?
Not sure here, try reading the company websites or one of the price websites that have recommendadtions.

Cerv

Reaction score
My Location
Czech republic
st_net said:

Steve

You can find all on this pages: http://www.multilnbdish.com/Settings.htm etc.

Alan Pee

Reaction score
st_net said:

Steve
It depends of how many satellites you are thinking of receiving. A motorised system is more flexible and could get you more satellites than a multi-lnb. With a motorised system on a fairly large dish (say a 1m) you can pick up (depending) on your location as many as 20 sat. positions say from 45e to 45w depending on the limit of your motor.

ARIAN_UK_1

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
hi dear, please could you list me ,how many satellite we can get by motorise in nortwest (manchester)uk?

st_net

Reaction score
I wonder how reliable is motorised system and tracking software. What motorised system/software is the best on the market?

Do I have to set up a dish to a absolute direction before the auto-tracking to work, or the tracking system can auto-search without having to level/align the dish to a specific initial direction?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The HW technology is very mature, and very reliable. Most software is too, but one or two receivers are a little cranky (like the Dreambox for example).

Can't say which is best. There is too much stuff in too many formats to give a simple answer.

You have to do an initial setup/alignment with the basic hobbyist kit.