Multi Sat Multi Outlet - A bit long

FSD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No sat at present. Computer P4 1GHz, 2xHD,1xDVD,1xCD 768Mb ram, usual 3 year old technology
My Location
London, UK.
Hi forum,

Some questions from a newbie. Currently we live in a flat with a simple communal terrestrial radio/TV distribution system. Moving to a house in about 3 weeks, so have to provide our own system. I want 6 outlets (3 beds, lounge, kitchen & study) for a multi (5) sat system, & VHF/DAB & UHF TV. Some of the Sat channels are encrypted, if that makes a difference. Each outlet to have all services presented to it. I have good electrical/radio knowledge, but no Sat TV knowledge. Dishes are to be fixed, not motorised. Will have a good view of horizon from about 10 degrees above horizontal (small trees/railway line in way at about 75 feet away) from about 80E to 100W (that’s 100 through 280 degrees on a conventional compass, just in case I have not understood the “sat way” of presenting bearings.) We have no interest in Sky encrypted channels.

I assume I need a small IRS system, to distribute the IF signal? Or is there another way?

I assume 2 fixed dishes (0.8/0.9m dia) would work in SW London with 42E, 28.5E & 28.2E on one dish with 3 LNB’s, and 13E & 7E on the other dish with 2 LNB’s? Any suggestions for a good/sturdy dish? I would rather pay a bit more for a decent dish that wont flex/rust etc, but don’t wont to go to say an “Andrews” price range-I assume from the name they are still very good and very expensive! Is a “Solid” dish better at reception than a “Mesh” dish of the same size? I accept the wind loading will be higher with the solid dish – just need to be careful with the mounting bolts.

What kit do I need to combine the satellites, VHF & UHF onto 1 or more feeders? Or maybe the VHF/UHF signals have a feeder each? How do I work out how many feeders I need without exceeding the bandwidth of the cable? Who supplies this kit – I assume Maplins don’t stock it.

If I need more than 1 feeder for the Sat signals, do Sat receivers have more than 1 input? The nice man in my local Indian meals electrical retailer wouldn’t let me look at the rear side of a Sat receiver. If they don’t have more than 1 input, do I have to manually swap feeders at the Sat receiver every time I want to look at a different Satellite? Sorry, this must be very basic, I have tried to find out, but even the adverts only show the front panel!

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
FSD

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi FSD,

Receivers normally only have one LNB input, an external switch is normally required. For a single receiver, for 4 sats a 4 way DiSEqC switch could be used.

For more than one receiver, one option would be to use 'Octo' LNBs with a 4 way DiSEqC switch on each receiver, not sure about the UHF input for this though.

Another option would be to use a multiswitch.
To use a multiswitch, each LNB must be a 'quattro' or 'quatro' (spelling seems to differ).

A diagram for a single sat can be found here:-
_http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/Sky%20Commercial.pdf

You have said '5' sat, but in fact you only need a '4' sat system as 28.5E and 28.2E can be considered to be co-located, and only one LNB will be needed for both.

There are a number of multiswitches on this page _http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/multiswitch.htm
(It says that they have a helpline too)

There is a '17 in 16' out multiswitch there that would do the job for you.
If you do a search maybe you can find a '17 in 8 out', which would be more suited and cheaper unless each receiver had a twin tuner.

An example of LNB multi-brackets can also be found on that site.

Hopefully, this is of some help

Robbo

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Pretty much as Robbo suggests. :)

Here is a 17/8 switch, should be ideal for what you want. :)

For 7E Digiturk, you will probably need a 1m to 1.2m dish, you should be OK having Hotbird as the offset LNB, Turksat will need an 80cm to 90cm dish, you should be OK with the 28.2 Quattro LNB being offset.

This type of switch will allow you to feed the terrestrial signals around the house also.

FSD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No sat at present. Computer P4 1GHz, 2xHD,1xDVD,1xCD 768Mb ram, usual 3 year old technology
My Location
London, UK.
Robb071 and rolfw. Thanks to both of you for the information. I need a few days to look at the web links you have given - bit hectic at the moment with the house move getting nearer. As soon as I have looked at the infor, if I have any more questions, I will come back. Thanks again to both of you.
Regards
FSD