Multisat Beginner - multiple LNBs?

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi. I know that all these are likely very easy questions, but a bit of someone else's experience is worth a thousand Google searches sometimes!

I've currently replaced a minidish with a cheap 80cm dish (it's the one Lidl were selling last year) fitted with a quad LNB aligned on Astra2 - two outputs connected to two Sky digiboxes, both with excellent signal strength and quality. I'm now looking at having a third receiver (probably a Dreambox) and fitting multiple LNBs to the dish.

Ideally I'd like the receiver to be able to pick up Astra 1, Astra 2 and Hotbird. After a bit of reading around my guess is that I either need a 3 LNB mount of some kind - two standard LNBs with the quad - or a 2 LNB mount and use a monoblock LNB in combination with the existing quad. What would be best, and what would be cheapest - not always the same thing!

Presumably I'll also need a piece of kit to allow the receiver to switch between the two or three LNBs (unless it has two inputs, in which case the monoblock + quad might work - I have no idea if that is the case). What's recommended? Is it better to run two/three cables inside and then do the switching there, or do the switching near the dish and run a single cable?

Thanks in advance for any help offered! As you can tell I'm slightly confused...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll need a 15 degree offset arm and a four way DiseqC switch, best to set Hotbird as your main focus and offset 19 and 28.2E.

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
rolfw said:
You'll need a 15 degree offset arm and a four way DiseqC switch, best to set Hotbird as your main focus and offset 19 and 28.2E.

Interesting, I was assuming that it was best to focus on the "middle" satellite cluster - is that because Hotbird is weak enough that a 6 degree offset would be tricky, and Astra 2 (even up north) is strong enough that a 15 degree sidebounce is still enough?

Diseqc switches appear to be quite easy to come buy (after a quick flick round the usual suspects) but I can't find many sources of offset arms - any recommendations?

Thanks!

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
you'll need a 4-way diseqc switch. like this one:
_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4693&item=5776960766&rd=1

get two more lnbs.

get some new none-sky-modern digital receiver with diseqc.

as rolf says, line your dish up to hotbird. 13E. with one of your new lnbs.

as you face the dish, fit a second lnb to the left of the 13E, up snug and close, this will give you about a 6degree shift, to get 19.2E.

to the left of the 19.2E lnb, put your quad, a bit further over so its 10deg off the 19.2 and 15deg off the 13E.

leave your quad connected to your two sky boxes.

put inputs from 13E, 19.2E and one unused output from quad into diseqc 4 way input. take the output to your non sky receiver. hey presto. you'll be fast switch 28.2, 13 and 19 east.

if you're in the south of UK, you should be OK. i did this for 19.2e/13e on a 60cm dish in south of UK _http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=35396

you can make your own braclets up.

have fun.

cts

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
cinnamon_oil said:
Interesting, I was assuming that it was best to focus on the "middle" satellite cluster - is that because Hotbird is weak enough that a 6 degree offset would be tricky, and Astra 2 (even up north) is strong enough that a 15 degree sidebounce is still enough?

you learn fast, yes you might struggle in Edinburgh for 15deg separation on 80cm standard. 13E and 19.2E on one dish certainly, maybe 19E and 28.E one one, but maybe not all three. best to experiment. I was alwasy under the beleif that 80cm was required for 13e/19e on one dish, but i get away with 60cm.

(consider getting: http://www.vo2000.com/product.aspx?pid=472)

cinnamon_oil said:
Diseqc switches appear to be quite easy to come buy (after a quick flick round the usual suspects) but I can't find many sources of offset arms - any recommendations?

make them! a few bits of metal/plastic/wood.

-cts

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
closetosoton said:
(consider getting: _http://www.vo2000.com/product.aspx?pid=472)

Actually, that looks interesting. I'm not 100% happy with the cheapo Lidl dish anyway as it seems a teensy bit flimsy to have three LNBs hanging off it (pretty flimsy with one really), and that looks a bit more substantial. Anyone have one and can recommend it?

Is the extra 10cm likely to make a big difference to the ability to pick up 15 degrees of offset?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, the Gemini is a great dish for Trisat reception (I use them all the time), if you do decide to buy, please click on the Vision on 2000 banner at the top of the page, so that the adverttiser knows that it came from his ad on our site.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
cinnamon_oil said:
I'm not 100% happy with the cheapo Lidl dish anyway as it seems a teensy bit flimsy to have three LNBs hanging off it

This dish has a plastic mount on the back and I would not recommend that amount of LNBs, Bracket and cable be hung on the front.

My advice would be to sell it on and invest in a slightly bigger, better 90cm dish.