1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

Using Wireless bridge and
PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Hi,

With the launch of freesat I wanna change my house distribution unit.
At the moment I have..
1 LNB + 1 aerial feeding my ditribution unit
1 cable taking the combined signal from distribution unit to sat receiver + TV (after they have been diplexed on the wall socket).
1 Return cable from the sat receiver to the distribution point
1 Cable from ditribution to each room.

The problem with the above is that you only get 1 channel from sat per room and it will make freesat difficult.

So what I want to do is...
a) Change LNB to quad LNB.
:cool: Feed 4 sat cables (from LN:cool: to a distribution unit.. or multiswitch of some sort as well as an aerial feed.
c) use the downlink cable to feed my Dreambox
d) use the ex-return cable to feed my freesat (so return becomes second downlink)
e) use the remaining cables to feed each room with a SAT+aerial feed (each room will have its own freesat receiver, no motorised receivers)

Which box could do the above? Is it pheasible? And which of the sat receievers in all the different rooms be able to control the motor?! (freesat receievers probably wont be able to control motor anyway but i may end up with 2 dreamboxes)

THANKS!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Running a motor through a multiswitch may not work, as the switch may not pass the DiseqC commands, also there are likely to be conflicts as the LNB would have to be a quattro and would only drive the motor on one band, as only one port could be looped through the motor. Get yourself a small fixed dish for Freesat and perhaps a quattro and multiswitch, this will then provide the feeds for the freesat box, plus you can loop the terrestrial feed, plus dreambox output through it to feed all rooms.

rexmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Thanks.. You are right.. I did think that another limitation is that... I could only have the sat pointed @ 28E... so no footy etc.

I think best option would be to put small fixed freesat dish with quad LNB onto a multiswitch. Then "feed" that to all the rooms. I will only need 1 cable per room for that which I already have cabled in so thats ok.

For the DB, I'll take the feed from the existing sat, and connect it directly with the previous uplink cable, and connect it straight to the DB.

How does that sound?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds good, apart from the quad LNB, unless you get a multiswitch which can work with a quad, most of them require a Quattro. Also get a reasonable quality one, as some of the cheaper ones have very poor cross band isolation.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
poor sat/sat isolation can occur in some of the cheaper switches too Rolf:D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, strangely enough, I was going to mention that in a different thread, where someone suggests using a top quality LNB, but then a cheap multiswitch.

rexmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Thanks!
I was looking at maybe a Tr*ax one.. Any makes/models you'll recommend? I only need 4 receivers, and 5 inputs (4+1 aerial)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The Triax gear is OK, I did once see a quad LNB with a UHF input, which would have saved money, but can't find the model any more. :)

101michael

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish, Antiference 7x20 multiswitch, quattro LNB.
My Location
London
Just installed, not fully, an Antiference 7x20 (that is 7 inputs, 4 sat, 1 UHF, 1 DAB and 1 FM) i will only use the four sat with a quattro and the one UHF, there are other antiference switches which only have the 5 inputs that i required but only provided, i think, 16 outputs, and i need 20....

im not too sure if any other companies make such a large switch, the other option was to cascade.

Ill let you know how it fairs once its up and running, but if you want to go the whole hog pick one up with 9 inputs or 13, that way you can add up to three dishes and an aerial which depending whats connected on the face plate will filter the correct signal through..

Anyone have any input for the antiference 7x20 i should like to know about? Oh and im using a televes quattro? I went for the televes brand purely because it was one of the more expensive, is it a good choice?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes, the LNb is fine.

There is a manufacture that do a 7 x 32 outlet switch.. you'll have to do a search.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are a few 5/20 multiswitches around, Vantage do one for sure, as do Teldis and Spaun.

101michael

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
oh well, should of come here before purchasing my antiference one...
as for the future, money no object which brand of multiswitch would you guys recommend and with which LNB?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
It has to be said that Antiference Multi-switches are excellent as per all of their kit :D

101michael

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
*phew* *sigh of relief*, my extended research has served me well....!when my next project comes along, ill make sure to come here and badger everyone on which LNB, multiswitch, dish and aerials to use and in what type of setup and with which cable....

I know, i know, these seem to be pretty much the recurring questions.