Murdoch: Sky avoided "grubby" phone-ins

Satdude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
Ireland
Murdoch: Sky avoided "grubby" phone-ins

Sky chief executive James Murdoch has said that the broadcaster avoided running premium-rate quiz programmes because they "felt grubby."

"We took the view that [premium rate quizzes] were taking advantage of people and that our customers deserved better than that," he told the Royal Television Society's magazine, Television. "We have a betting business and a lot of work goes into informing people about how those services work and putting the appropriate protections in place. But to us premium-rate quiz stuff always felt grubby, trying to get an extra nickel out of everyone. We didn't feel comfortable in it."

Murdoch added that Sky's "discomfort has been borne out" and claimed that premium rate quizzes "undermine" the relationship between a business and its customers "because basically it is just taking advantage, and it's pretty sleazy."

Regards Satdude.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Satdude said:
Murdoch added that Sky's "discomfort has been borne out" and claimed that premium rate quizzes "undermine" the relationship between a business and its customers "because basically it is just taking advantage, and it's pretty sleazy."

Regards Satdude.
Ah I see but it is perfectly acceptable to monopolise the TV sports industry and force people to pay up or do without their sporting entertainment.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but at least he doesn't wear a mask when he does it. ;)

Also, the highest proportion of blame must not go on Sky, but on the sporting bodies who sell the sole rights with no regard for the fans of the sport.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
He does have a point though, they are grubby and cheap...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I agree there Rolf the highest proportion of blame does go the greedy sports governing bodies but that doesn't make Murdoch innocent merely fantastically rich.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
True, wish I had a sniff of his wealth though. :-lmao

When you think of it, there was pretty much no live league football on TV before Sky came along, so from that point of view, it has done a lot for football and by not subscribing, you are getting pretty much what you would have done pre-Sky.

The shame came, when the other sports like cricket and Rugby Union smelled the money and jumped on the bandwagon, then International football, which should never be on pay TV.