Music Industry Woes

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Just been reading this bit of 'journaleezee'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/11/technology/11ECOM.html?todaysheadlines

If the 'music industry' as a whole is suffering from a down fall in sales, perhaps its because the product itself - the music - is becomming such a low quality item.

These things are very subjective of course, but I just can't see where the whole thing is heading.

The tunes have gone, the variety in rhythm has been depleted, lyrics seldom extend beyond a few lines repeated, and where is the humour.

Gripe over, but they have only themselves to blame!

Regards

W. Hole

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe it has more to do with the dogged determination of the record industry to make such huge profits on CDs and also the way they appear to control playlists on major radio stations.

Any Industry that can offer an artist £20 Million for a 5 year contract must be charging too much for their product and so people will try and get it for nothing.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Sure,

Remember that stupid little logo on (corporate) vinyl, with a skull and cross bones over a cassette tape telling us that:

"Home taping is killing music"

That was twenty years ago. Hey guess what, I still scan library books.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The tunes have gone

Im not so sure about that, bias aside, I do think the latest Kylie release is superb.

I believe its more to do with so many people in the industry and so many more that aspire to be come famous musicians (in the loosest possible sense of the word) and believe its their right to be recognsed publicly, no matter how bad they are.

You understand there are probably a thousand times as many true musical artists in the UK music industry that actually have talent oozing from their fingers and lungs, but remain in the background, making a living on their skills, regardless of whether they wish to have fame thrust upon them or not.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
If R W is worth £20,000,000 then what must Coldplay be worth. Their video for 'The Scientist' is brilliant.

Jimbo

Billyreh

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Most artists are arrogant, they make there millions through the consumer and then act like a complete tw*t. Half of them are as doggy as they come. They sing the same shit over and over again.

Every other day an artist releases a Greatest Hits CD Vol1 Vol2 and so on or they just add a bit more jazzy music to is and re-release the song.

Billy