Mvision HD300 Combo Review?

Prodigy81

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Visiosat Bisat
Astra 19.2 (Central Focus), Astra 28.2 + Hotbird 13 satellites using Hauppauge NOVA HD-S2, Fortec Star Passion & Mvision HD-300 Combo receivers
My Location
UK, West Midlands
Hello all,

Does anyone have one of these receivers? The specs look fantastic and the price even better than some of the bigger rivals.

I've found some clear pictures:

Code:
__h**p://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.flickr.com/photos/31049536%40N07/sets/72157622298466329/show/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmvision%2Bhd300%2Bcombo%2Breview%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&usg=ALkJrhgwTc9j6mz8DMHVjLBxq0rGoSmb5w

I'm just curious whether it is as good as it looks or whether 'you pay for what you get' comes to mind? It has a DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T tuners, USB PVR and 5000 channel memory.
Apparently recordings are made in AVI format so they can easily be played on a PC without any converstion. Any useful info would be appreciated thanks! :)

Prodigy81

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Visiosat Bisat
Astra 19.2 (Central Focus), Astra 28.2 + Hotbird 13 satellites using Hauppauge NOVA HD-S2, Fortec Star Passion & Mvision HD-300 Combo receivers
My Location
UK, West Midlands
I bought myself two MVision HD-300 Receivers and thought I'd give a mini review based on my findings!

Everything you'd expect came in the box - a receiver, manual, remote control and batteries (most important). I'm not sure if this model has been officially launched in the UK as yet as the receiver came with a Euro > UK power adapter.

I don't consider this a major problem but still I do prefer a native UK plug myself.

Pros
- Very easy to navigate menu system
- Nice bright colours/visuals
- Easy and quick to tune in channels
- Organise channels Digital Satellite/Digital Terrestrial together in a list
- Channel flicking is of a good speed
- Sound quality is good using Optical output
- Updating firmware is easy via USB

Cons
- Unable to tune in channels from multiple sources at once
- Receiver runs very warm, even in Standby, but is very stable and hasn't crashed once
- Organising channels/Favourite groups can be a little complicated
- Switching between Favourite groups automatically changes to a channel in that group

Overall I'd rate this receiver 7-7.5 out of 10 :)

Prodigy81

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Visiosat Bisat
My Location
UK, West Midlands
After using the receiver after a week I've had the chance to use the USB PVR :)

Unfortunately even with the latest firmware v4.48 recording on a USB memory stick was fine, but playing back just freezes the receiver until I remove the memory stick! I then tried an external 100GB 5400rpm hard drive which works absolutely perfectly with SD and HD channels recording and playing.

Whilst you're recording you can only watch channels on the same transponder, but that's to be expected. Only on more expensive receivers can you watch and record from two different sources.

Copying channel lists from one receiver to another was straight forward; again using the easy USB menu.

After a week I would still score the same 7.5 out of 10. Excellent price and pretty much all the features most people require :)

Prodigy81

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Visiosat Bisat
My Location
UK, West Midlands
After using the receiver after a week I've had the chance to use the USB PVR :)

Unfortunately even with the latest firmware v4.48 recording on a USB memory stick was fine, but playing back just freezes the receiver until I remove the memory stick! I then tried an external 100GB 5400rpm hard drive which works absolutely perfectly with SD and HD channels recording and playing.

Whilst you're recording you can only watch channels on the same transponder, but that's to be expected. Only on more expensive receivers can you watch and record from two different sources.

Copying channel lists from one receiver to another was straight forward; again using the easy USB menu.

After a week I would still score the same 7.5 out of 10. Excellent price and pretty much all the features most people require :)

RSU´s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispassat ,Hotbird, Astra
My Location
Viseu - Portugal
adequiri um HD Mvision 300 combo meti o softwer mais recente F452 mas não consigo ter acesso ao menu de Keys pois não aparece no menu alguém me pode ajudar nesta questão obrigado

RSU´s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispassat ,Hotbird, Astra
My Location
Viseu - Portugal
adequiri um HD Mvision 300 combo meti o softwer mais recente F452 mas não consigo ter acesso ao menu de Keys pois não aparece no menu alguém me pode ajudar nesta questão obrigado

camfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dish with motor, humax receiver
My Location
portugal
I also bought a MVision Combo HD300 a week ago. I do encounter big problems finding satellites. This is so, because it seems that the signal strength and quality bar take a long time to update and at the moment the dish is at the right position it might not update. Do you have the same problem? If so, we will have to take at least half a point of the scoring.

camfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dish with motor, humax receiver
My Location
portugal
I see that Prodigy81 has no motor and therefore cannot have this tuning problem. If somebody has, please feel free to answer.

Prodigy81

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Visiosat Bisat
My Location
UK, West Midlands
That's correct I do not use a motor. I just have three LNBs statically positioned and a standard aerial. I have since upgraded the firmware to 4.52 and along with the hard drive it's been absolutely fine.

My only criticism is programming recordings can be a little complicated. Specifying the channel is just in one massive list which isn't useful, but then you specify the start time and the recording duration. Would make more sense to specify the start time and finish time of my choice and not have to mathematically calculate the duration everytime I want to record something.

Whixley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Mvision HD300 Combo Net
My Location
UK
Prodigy
I am a complete novice at this stuff and have just purchased new a HD300 Combo Net
Could you kindly provide a step-by-step guide on updating the Firmware as I cannot figure it out.
Thanks in advance