My 19E Astra dish - RAI UNO - whats needed?

manikm

Reaction score
Hi there,

When i bought Sky digital, the installation guy left our old dish alone, it was
pointed at 19E so i used to get RTL+, SAT1 etc on an analogue receiver.

One day the LNB died, and we have just left it all in place.

I have been reading about FREE-XTV etc, and was wondering what would i need to receive that - dish and receiver wise...?

Also i'd like to get RAI UNO and DUE - i beleive this is hotbird...

So, is my current 80cm dish ok? Is it best to get a new digital receiver? What LNB should i get...i dont really want to motorise cos my dish is on a flat wall and might not have room to move....

Can i get RAI UNO on my old Grundig BOX - it was quite a good one (it picked up astra 1e or whatever it was that was needed to extend the freq range)

ANy help would be excellent, thanks!!

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
You can pick up RAI UNO on Astra 1E, to find out what else you can pick up FTA at this position take a look at lyngsat.comlyngsat.com. To see what you can receive from the astra satellites you can find the footprints .here . I myself use MTI LNB's but I haven't a clue if they are the best, they work well for me though.

manikm

Reaction score
Thanks mate. If i got a universal LNB and a digi receiver - how do i know which satellites broadcast digital - i.e does astra have certain channels on analogue and different ones on digital?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Look at www.lyngsat.com Manikm, Digital channels will have DVB written after them and analogue will normally have PAL or SECAM.

manikm

Reaction score
Ahhh, thats what that means....thanks!!!!
Is this a good receiver to get do you think?
Technomate TM 5500 DACI
http://www.turbosat.com/acatalog/Turbosat_Ltd_Technomate_TM_5500_DACI_58.html
Also, my dish is currently at 19.2E for the old analogue astra? how much turning will it need for 13E for hotbirds....not much? i.e if its already on the wall, pointing to 19.2 - surely 13E aint much of a change - or am i wrong in all this, is it the angle of the LNB rather than dish thats needed for HOTBIRD?

rolfw said:
Look at www.lyngsat.com Manikm, Digital channels will have DVB written after them and analogue will normally have PAL or SECAM.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
You can buy a monoblock for astra1 and hotbird like this

lrgdigitwin.gif

or a special lnb holders called a duoblock that take two lnb's, one for hot bird and one for astra 1 like this

lrgduoblok.jpg

manikm

Reaction score
Thanks so much for that, im learning im learning!!!

So does that mean that the actual dish doesnt need to be altered (if it was picking up 19.2 astra fine), just the angle of the LNB?

Surely that means that the receiver needs dual LNB inputs correct? i will have to check that receiver above that im thinking of getting.

Whats the best option - the holder for 2 lnbs or the MONO BLOCK?
I cant see how the mono block works, cos they arent angled - i can see the holder working, as it is at 2 differing angles...can u explain pls.

Makes me wonder what i could do with my sky digi dish too.

This is excellent stuff, thanks again.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
The dish should not need to be altered. How big is the dish?

You do not need a second input on your receiver. A mono block has a build in switch, if you go the 2 lnb way then you can add a DISEqC 1.0 switch, i.e. a switch with 2, 3 or 4 inputs and 1 output. You will have to check to see if your receiver supports DISEqC 1.0.

I suppose that the best choice would be the mono block, it is probably a bit cheaper than 3 separate lnb's and if you disk is alread pointing as astra1 then all you do is fit the lnb and it should automatically point to hot bird.

I am a novice myself so I cannot explain exactly how things work. I can tell you that the signal reflects off the dish onto the lnb so if the lnb is in the right place it will pick up a signal. I have a bisat dish with a holder for astra1, astra2 and hot bird. The holders are in a straight line but I can pick up astra 1 and astra 2 perfectly (hot bird currently not connected).

I doubt that you could do much else with the sky digital dish as they tend to be too small.

manikm

Reaction score
its a 80cm dish mate - i have ordered me a mono block. And i think im gonna buy that technomate receiver as i describe further up the post.
thanks for all your help.