My brother's dish...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Just took this today just for the heck of it, it's my brother's dish, defunct of course, it's an old Amstrad dish with a 10GHz LNB and it's rusty as heck... :-rofl2

We have the same dish up on the chimney, but rustier (more exposed to the elephants) and has the older tripod mount... :)

Attachments

• amsdish.jpg
    amsdish.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 210

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The large bolt on the tripod mount may prove a little tricky to undo now. Best way to take down is as one assembly, dish attached.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its an antique - leave it alone! :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
satelliteman said:
The large bolt on the tripod mount may prove a little tricky to undo now. Best way to take down is as one assembly, dish attached.

Well, the one on the chimney has the tripod (I ain't going up there!!! :eek: ), but the brothers' dish is on a U bracket, but I think that dish will be brought down by brute force, it's rusty enough to fall apart, so, might aswell pull it down, wouldn't want it falling down unexpectedly due to severe rust... :)

Still, I bet the 10GHz LNB still works, and I'm sure those in the naughty radio scene would be interested in it... :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:

It's a rusting wreck, the wall bolts are looking suspect!!! ;)

There is a white Ammy next door to him in good nick though, that's an antique... :D

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes, I'd get it down pretty sharpish. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a dish cause damage :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satelliteman said:
Yes, I'd get it down pretty sharpish. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a dish cause damage :-rofl2

I can just imagine our dish being blasted off the chimney (possibly taking the chimney with it!!!) and causing havoc!!! :eek:

Though the brother's dish is not too far off the ground (I'm amazed the local metal scroungers/thieves haven't had at it yet!!!), so probably wouldn't cause anything more then a lump on the head... :-doh2

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Analoguesat said:

i thought you be in here, eyeing the dish up as number 7 or how many you have now

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
wod said:
i thought you be in here, eyeing the dish up as number 7 or how many you have now

It's two for the price of one if you feel like scaling next-door's roof for ours... :-rofl2

And ours has an Enhanced LNB (I think)... :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I already ahve at least 4 dishes in reserve and I know where theres an abandoned zone 2 dish round by a local block of flats ;)

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin V+HD XL Technomate 6800 Astra+Hotbird FTA on 60 cm dish
My Location
Cheshire
I had the same amstrad dish and bluecap LNB ( minus raincover ) on my house when i moved in,when i found the cutoff coax outside and connected it up was working alright.
One house near me has the solid white amstrad dish still on the wall, mine was removed a few years ago and last week was scrapped.
If you want to remove it i recommend a good dose of WD40 on all the bolts a day before, If that fails then its the junior hacksaw or mini angle grinder.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
failing that, there's always the hammer :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think that the rust would just allow me to hang off it and pull... :lol:

I'd love to test it though, but I can't be bothered digging out the MSS300, it's buried in a box in the workshop... :(

But I don't doubt whether it works or not, it's just the rusty dish face would probably be absorbing or bouncing the signal about all over the place, I'd rather try their neighbours solid white Amstrad dish, cos it looks superb!!! :D