My Cam won't upgrade

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ PVR3, Canal +, DAB, Freeview
My Location
UK
Hello all,

I'm having problems upgrading my T-Rex cam since programming it with Predator 255 WZ with the loader card.

I've tried on numerous occassions to update the cam so I can add additional CAID's, but it just doesn't recognise the updates anymore which is annoying as I'm losing channels.

What could I do as I no longer have a cam programmer just a Dynamite programmer. Could I use my PCIMA slot on my laptop to reprogramme the cam or could anyone suggest a way for my cam to recognise the update files again?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You can't program your Cam with your PCMCIA slot you either need a CAS 3 or program your loader card and update your Cam.
If you have already programmed your loader card with the latest Predator file you need to:
tune your receiver to a FTA channel,
switch off your receiver,
insert your loader card, chip face up.
turn on your receiver and navigate to your cam, which should now be in loader mode.
If this isn't working try loading a different predator file.
Please post back with more details if your Cam is not going into loader mode.

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for the reply.
I've programmed the loader card with several predator files and the cam just isn't going into loader mode. I didn't used to have a problem with the cam until I used the Predator 255 WZ upgrade. Since then I've been unable to upgrade the cam further.

I'm using a T-Rex 4.1 Cam on a Morgan 2 CI Viaccess receiver.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Try your cam in the diferent slot also try unplugging your receiver for 5 minutes, then rteconnecting it with the cam and card in, also check that your card is correctly seated in the cam, chip face up, take the cam out of your receiver and insert the loader card.
I am unaware of the file Predator 255 WZ, can you upload it on sendspace and I will examine it.

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I've tried what you've suggested and nothing has happened.
I'll try to find the Predator file for you to look at I think I may have it somewhere on my laptop.

Any more suggestions? Or do you think I should look at buying another Cam Programmer?

I used to have Cam 3 programmer but they kept on braking down on me. I went through three of them before being offered the Dynamite Card Programmer as a replacement which has worked great so far.

What about funcards? Could the Cam be reprogrammed with one of those? I've got two funcard 5 if its possible.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
There are only 2 types of loader cards that can program the Dragon Cam, a Fun Card 7, also known as a Prussian Card 5, and a PIC F84A loader card. You can pisk up a Fun Card 7 for around £10.
Does you laptop have a Com port or are you using a USB to Serial adapter?

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
My laptop doesn't have a com port but my tower PC and my girlfriend's laptop does.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Try downloading and installing an original Predator file, like Predator 354, from dragonmodul.com

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for that!
This is becoming a nightmare. Ok, I've tried three different Predator files on the site you recommended and still the cam won't recognise any of them as upgrades.

I don't even have the original file anymore on my laptop to send for you to check out.

Is there anyway to completely reset the cam without hardware? Or am I going to have to buy another Cam Programmer. :confused

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
If the problem lies with your cam, due to a fake file, then it requires its bootloader to be repaired, which can only be done with a Cas 3, and some soldering skills, or use van hoofs services.
But if the bootloader is damaged them you usually get the cam not being recognised, your situation is completely different, where you seem to have full access to the cam, using the menu, so you can update the keys using the debug option.
I can't understand why it isn't going into Dragon loader mode when the card is inserted, which makes me think the problem might lie elsewhere, but without being able to check the file, your card, your programmer or your cam it is difficult to diagnose.
I am aware of a problem with the dynamite programmer and CIS 8.1b, to such an extent that I would recommend that you re-load the 7.9c drivers, this will mean you will have to change the date on your computer, just go back a couple of months, to use your programmer.
Then program your card with Predator 354, from dragonmodul, and see if that works.
If not we will have to go through the entire process of programming your loader card, and loading your cam to see if we can spot the problem.
Please post back with the results after attempting to program your card with the 7.9c drivers.
Good luck.

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I've tried what you suggested and still nothing.
As you say the cam is still working and allows me to insert keys in the debug option, but it won't let me update the predator files.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
The fact that it is not going into load mode, when the card is inserted, means either the card isn't programmed correctly or the Cam isn't reading it.
Ensure you have your receiver tuned to a Free to Air channel, and switch off your receiver.
Remove the Cam, and insert the loader card, chip face up, until you're sure it's in correctly.
Then put your Cam, and card, in the receiver and switch on. If you navigate to the menu and still it's not in Load Mode, there is a problem.
If you have any other card, have you tried programming, with an appropriate file, and inserting it into the Cam and seeing if it's read in the Cam menu?
If you have a friend, or anyone near you, with a Cas 3, then this will be a good way to test your Cam, as programming it with the dummy card takes your loader card, Programmer and Receiver out of the equation.

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hurrah problem solved!!
It was the cam all along. When I was placing the cards into the cam there are two plastic guides inside that were stopping the card from connecting with the cam.
A little adjustment to the cam the card connected and I've finally updated the cam!

Thanks for your help Mickha! :)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I'm pleased you've sollved the problem, unfortunately the only way to get D+ at the moment, with the Dragon Cam, is to use Predator 3.25, or if you have a Titanium card that will work.

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I've tried that Pred file and it didn't get D+ working as I couldn't find the ID to place the latest key. Also is it possible to add Control World to the T-Rex 4.1?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
With Predator 3.25 you can't change the key using the normal debug option, you have to alter it in the file using a hex editor and then run it through Dragon Crypt or DCP09 to fix the checksum and then load it onto your Cam.
If you have an old Titanium card it is much better to use that, hopefully there will be a fix soon for this problem.
Do you mean Direct Control Words? The later Predators already have a biss section added that includes this, the maximum you can have is 26, but they are very easy to change/update using CAID_SHA_Fix or Prededit.

matteus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I've got Predator 3.25 working thanks it was my receiver that needed resetting.
Yeah its Direct Control World I was wanting to add. I will download the latest Predator file and run it through Prededit.

Thanks again!