casser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sugar antennas:)
My Location
Ilhéu das Formigas - Azores
...made of aluminium cardboard:)

1- 1m umbrella, equal´s +- 50cm dish.

2- Mega conical Horn, with 65cm of diameter, equal´s to 25cm dish:-doh!

3- first conical horn i ever made, equal´s to +-45cm dish.

4- 2meter long conical horn aimed to Astra 2D ( i was able to see ITV with this cone in Portugal), equal´s to +- 80cm dish antenna. With this antenna, using one LNB i was able to catch Astra 2 (south beams) and Badr 3/4 at the same time (only strongest transponders).

5- 10cm (21dBi) / 15cm (22.5dBi) / 18cm conical (24dBi) Horn´s results to a 54dBW Satellite (Hispasat in Portugal)

For each 1,5dBi in Conical Horn´s antenna, increases about 10% of signal using my receiver. I´ve couple of perfect cones..but i dont have photos of them.

Attachments

• DSC00960.JPG
    DSC00960.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 3,123
  • mega.JPG
    mega.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,152
  • first.JPG
    first.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,000
  • dsc00996dc0.jpg
    dsc00996dc0.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,918
  • 22405096sp3.jpg
    22405096sp3.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,003

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some interesting work there Casser, nice to see a bit of imagination. :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
What do you use as a feed for the cones? I assume it goes on the pointy end?

Robbo:)

casser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Some interesting work there Casser, nice to see a bit of imagination. :)

It´s an alternative for Satellite dish antennas, but none of these antennas are weatherproof.:p

But the advantage of using conical horn antennas, is the less antenna diameter that we need to correspond to a dish antenna,

ex: a 32dBi conical Horn (35/40cms of diameter), correspond to a 75cm dish antenna..but the antenna gets very long, about 2m long!

Robbo71 said:
What do you use as a feed for the cones? I assume it goes on the pointy end?

Robbo
smile.gif

In the beginning i used a LNB with the feed horn cut off, because in the original formula for Conical Horns ..it´s supposed to feed the conical horn with a Waveguide for 11.75Ghz with +-19mm of diameter..usually LNB´s waveguide have these dimensions.

But after some simulation, using a LNB with only the waveguide works better in Conical Horn´s with less of 25dBi (Due to the angle between the Horn mouth and the LN:cool:. >26dBi a LNB with the original feed horn is better.

charly20

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox
My Location
Belgium
@ casser:

That is fascinating. Bravo!

generic88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65 Cm Dish KU band LNB Bolt 430 Sat Receiver,Suncard
Agila 2
My Location
Philippines
casser said:
...made of aluminium cardboard:)

1- 1m umbrella, equal´s +- 50cm dish.

2- Mega conical Horn, with 65cm of diameter, equal´s to 25cm dish:-doh!

3- first conical horn i ever made, equal´s to +-45cm dish.

4- 2meter long conical horn aimed to Astra 2D ( i was able to see ITV with this cone in Portugal), equal´s to +- 80cm dish antenna. With this antenna, using one LNB i was able to catch Astra 2 (south beams) and Badr 3/4 at the same time (only strongest transponders).

5- 10cm (21dBi) / 15cm (22.5dBi) / 18cm conical (24dBi) Horn´s results to a 54dBW Satellite (Hispasat in Portugal)

For each 1,5dBi in Conical Horn´s antenna, increases about 10% of signal using my receiver. I´ve couple of perfect cones..but i dont have photos of them.
Do you have detailed plans Dimension so I can try it out here in our local Country Philipphines

casser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
generic88 said:
Do you have detailed plans Dimension so I can try it out here in our local Country Philipphines

Sorry for only replying now..i´m in vacation.

I dont have detailed plans to build this antenna...because it ´s so simple.

-They need less gain (or diameter) to equal a satellite dish, example:
a 20cm diameter cone equal´s to a 30 cms satellite dish...or a 32dBi conical horn equal´s to +-70cm diameter dish.
BUT a 32dBi conical horn should have 40cms diameter and 2.6meter long! the diameter/lenght it´s not proporcional, a 20cm diameter have 40cm in lenght (optimum), but a 40cm diameter conical horn doesnt have 80cm.

-Conical Horn are less critical in construction error´s..satellite dish antennas need´s a perfect construction to center the focal point

-Since 25dBi it´s OK to receive >52dBW satellite..this conical horn should have -3dB of 8º degrees...you will be able to receive two satellites at distance of 2/3º with strong reception with only one LNB (since the satellites use +-10º diference of LNB rotation)

-i have HERE a complete explanation how to design a conical horn using HDLANT (a very simple but perfect freeware, thanks to Paul Wade) but only portuguese, try to translate that section, if you need help just ask.

here you have some of my simulations of conical horn´s (see link)..i didint try bigger conical horn´s, because i think that no one wants to build >1.5meter long conical horn.

-Those dimensions, will work in any frequency...i have use it in 2.4ghz, off course it´s not the perfect dimensions for 2.4ghz...but yet, it performed very well.

-You can use any LNB with any feed dimension...but should take off the cap of the LNB to put together cone + feed LNB.

_http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/746/semttulois9qv7.jpg