My Dreambox 7000S Review

Zak10

Reaction score
This is the most advanced satellite receiver ever made in the world.

Dreambox is a unique receiver which has come 3 years ahead of time. It runs on Linux software which is freely available. It downloads, it programs whatever you feel like from many sites on the internet.

Picture quality is DVD standard. Sound is crystal clear. Very very fast changing between channels. It is Hard disk ready. It has 2 common interface embedded Dragon cam Dreamcrypt. Unlimited channel storage facility. Remote is user friendly. Can share an original card subscription with up to 9 other people.

You can fit it to a Diseqc motor with several LNBs with all computer connections.

People who have the Dreambox have recommended it to their friends and this item is selling like a hot cake.

I would personally recommend this to everyone who wants to watch a little bit more than the rest. This box is an eye opener.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, certainly a superb receiver, not necessarily for the absolute novice though, seen grown men reduced to tears trying to get it loaded and operating.

The picture quality whilst being excellent is no better in my opinion that most other top end receivers and can in any case only be as good as the incoming video stream, so not to the same standard as DVD.

Many of the features are though pretty much unique, so if you want a bit of excitement in your satellite hobby and like messing around with computers, this is probably the box for you. :)

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
Sounds interesting... I seem to have a penchant for getting devices that run Linux underneath (TiVo hacked with more disk space, network card, other stuff, Netgem iPlayer DTT box, etc) so this sounds interesting. Any (English, if at all possible!) links for more info on it? Google wasn't terrifically forthcoming...

(Horrendous newbieism ahoy) Is it cheaper to buy satellite gear from overseas suppliers, and if so where's good? Would this receiver be a suitable "only intend to buy one box for the next umpteen years, so it had better be as future proof as possible" box?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you search for more specific criteria "dreambox dm7000s", you will come up with many commercial links.

It is generally cheaper to buy your Dreambox abroad, for example one recently seen UK price DB7000s no hard drive and excluding carriage £290. Just bought mine from Germany for £305 delivered and includes a fitted 120GB hard drive, not everyone is of course happy or prepared to buy overseas, but there are very definite advantages.

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ah, that helped! Does look interesting indeed, and that's a pretty spiffy price. What supplier did you use? (As a newbie here I don't know if giving that kind of recommendation is too close to advertising...)

I'd imagine that other kit (dishes, LNBs, etc) isn't worth going overseas for as the costs of postage will probably offset the savings - well, perhaps multi-output LNBs. Now I just need to find a decent UK supplier! (Or a decent local shop - anyone know anywhere in the Edinburgh region?)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
We don't mind people giving personal recommendations, but unfortunately this freedom is often abused. Got mine from http://www.hm-sat.de/index2.html they have English speakers there, will do C.O.D., bought my Coship from them as well, very fast turn around, you could probably have your Dreambox installed before the weekend. :)

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
I know I'm going to feel silly for this one, but... what's the advantage to C.O.D?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No advantage unless you have a basic mistrust of the internet or do not have a credit card.

cinnamon_oil

Reaction score
My Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
Good point... I was thinking more along the lines of tax fiddles or the like, but couldn't think of any that could sensibly apply in the EU. Hadn't thought of the simple answer!

I'm surprised that a company does COD overseas though; I presume they must use a courier service that has the necessary legal oomph and cash-handling capabilities. Either that or they have heavies willing to rack up air miles.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, they use UPS, went the C.O.D. route by accident, as I'd used my credit card on the previous purchase.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
A semi-hijack here but c'est la vie ;)

For those with a Dreambox, can you tell me if it's possible to surf the net on it? I know it has ethernet connection but I'd be interested to know if, with the keyboard, that you can use a browser etc? I'm planning a new home with cinema room and to use that for internet would be cool....

And what should I point it at? I will have a Sky FTV box there too.
My dish is a 1m Gibertini with prime focus 28.2e for Sky - I don't want to motorise if I can avoid it so I'd be looking to use my offset focus. Location: Zurich.

Cheers me dears :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, don't think you can surf with it, it dosn't appear to mention it in the manual.