My First Motorised Dish

LoadedBoyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500+CI / 90cm REX / H-H Disec 1.2 Motor / Digital BSKYB / New to Sat systems.
My Location
UK
I need help.

I have just set up my first motorised system
90cm dish/ Disec 1.2 H-H motor / technomate 1500+CI

all seemed fine at first i checked astra1 19*/ and 2 @ 28.2* / eurobird1 13* but going any further east or west i can't seem to get anything?

also to get ALL the channels on eurobird i have to change the tilt on the dish, as the futher the dish moves it starts to twist so the LNB arm is no longer at the bottom, is this ment to happen
icon5.gif

does any one have an idea what sats i should be able to get OK in the Bristol area with my 90cm dish?

please help, i can give you more info if needed.

thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The classic non vertical pole syndrome. The pole must be exactly vertical in all planes otherwise you will not be on the arc and will thus only receive a fraction of what is available. You must set up the H-H using 1deg West as this is your true South satellite There is not a lot you cannot get to some degree with 90 cm provided you have a clear line of site.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Agree that the it sounds like the pole isn't vertical... but

Sorry to disagree Topper - but my DiSEqC motor does tip the dish as it turns - even with a vertical pole. The dish follows the arch on the vertical axis and this also covers the skew (you don't need that with a motorised system).

It was one of the many things that threw me when I first set mine up!

Recheck the zero point and the pole is vertical. Get a cheap satellite finder (if you don't have one) that makes the set-up so much easier.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
gameboy said:
Sorry to disagree Topper - but my DiSEqC motor does tip the dish as it turns - even with a vertical pole. The dish follows the arch on the vertical axis and this also covers the skew (you don't need that with a motorised system).

It was one of the many things that threw me when I first set mine up!

Recheck the zero point and the pole is vertical. Get a cheap satellite finder (if you don't have one) that makes the set-up so much easier.

I wasn't aware that I had said anything different to the above GB even with my polar mount the dish mechanically rotates to alter the skew as it moves East of West or Visa versa but if you do not start with true south at 0 degrees you will never get on the arc. But yes I know what you mean regarding the peculiar angle of the dish on an H-H motor, looks like it should never pick up anything lol

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
As you can see from one of my very early posts here...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=29221

...the dish tilt effect.

Just didn't want you to think it just moves left a right on a flat horizontal axis (like I did) when I first set up the motor.

Obviously a bit more adjustment is required... good luck

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
gameboy said:
Obviously a bit more adjustment is required

Adjustment not being too easy at the top of a ladder no doubt!!! :-wow
I'm lucky since mine is mounted on a flat roof.

LoadedBoyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500+CI / 90cm REX / H-H Disec 1.2 Motor / Digital BSKYB / New to Sat systems.
My Location
UK
ahh, i see, thanks a lot people it makes sort of sence now.

LB UK

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
how about this method of dish mounting?

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
mhku said:
how about this method of dish mounting?

:-doh! I think that is taking it a step to far. :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have sent a copy of the photos to the health and safety executive, I'm sure they will be pleased that you managed to break just about every guideline laid down for step ladder use. I don't think they have created a health and safety guide for multipurpose use of a green plastic patio table but after seeing the photos I am sure they will O-Ha

J

Jeff_19341

HSE and Council Planning Officers all corrupt little hitlers. Keep them away from mhku's ingenious, simple but effective, little set up. We want more pics of Heath Robinson type installation's.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
JuMbuCk said:
HSE and Council Planning Officers all corrupt little hitlers. Keep them away from mhku's ingenious, simple but effective, little set up. We want more pics of Heath Robinson type installation's.
Is that with or without plaster casts and neck braces lol

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
JuMbuCk said:

:eek: Wait untill I stick mine up, I always mange to fix things in a way that some find unconventional.:D

J

Jeff_19341

Hi top

I though that "Is that with or without plaster casts and neck braces lol" was part of the joys of DIY and setting up sat dishes etc :D .
Next thing we know is that we will not be allowed ladders or spanners or wire strippers and will have to get a certified electrician to put the mains plug into the socket and turn the receiver on. I just feel sorry for all you youngsters having to live out your lives in this "nanny state :rolleyes: ".

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
JuMbuCk said:
I just feel sorry for all you youngsters having to live out your lives in this "nanny state :rolleyes: ".

What a compliment I haven't been called that since my hair and beard went white.... made my day, then again it would have done if it had been satslut or teena saying it :-doh! As for the nanny state bit well I think you are right I'm not allowed to put a spur in my house now even though I used to work for an electrician. World's gone mad and it is getting to us all slowly but surely

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
JuMbuCk said:
Hi top

I though that "Is that with or without plaster casts and neck braces lol" was part of the joys of DIY and setting up sat dishes etc :D .
Next thing we know is that we will not be allowed ladders or spanners or wire strippers and will have to get a certified electrician to put the mains plug into the socket and turn the receiver on. I just feel sorry for all you youngsters having to live out your lives in this "nanny state :rolleyes: ".

:mad: Yes its a nanny state allright. My boiler needed changing last year and I did it as I was a heating engineer for 45 years. But I still had to get a CORGI mate to say it was OK. As he said, being CORGI is a load of crap, just a licence to make more money. There are CORGI cowboys, except you pay more for them.:rolleyes:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
TJExcalibur said:
:mad: Yes its a nanny state allright. My boiler needed changing last year and I did it as I was a heating engineer for 45 years. But I still had to get a CORGI mate to say it was OK. As he said, being CORGI is a load of crap, just a licence to make more money. There are CORGI cowboys, except you pay more for them.:rolleyes:

Couldn't find a corgi cowboy, but I wouldn't trust this guy either :)

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
rolfw said:
Couldn't find a corgi cowboy, but I wouldn't trust this guy either :)

:eek: Eeek...looks like a dog I once knew in Southampton, used to buy her a box of Bonios for a treat.