My old sky dish

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
Hello everyone!

I have a questions (slightly long one):
When the sky digital man installed my system he didnt take down the old dish. ( I think it is 60cm or 80cm ?, whatever the standard size it was for analog system in northwest of uk).
Since it is still there staring at 19.2 for nothing I thought I might get an universal LNB or dual LNBs (depending on usefulness).
My question is, what new channels can I get at 19.2 and would I need to buy a digital box? I am learning spanish so I'm interested in free spanish channels.

I would be very greatful for any hints and tips on this.
Thank you in advance.

Rai.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Spain.shtml will give you a list af all free to air Spanish language channels and the satellites from which they are transmitting.

There are far more spanish channels on 30W in the clear, but you will require a separate digital receiver to watch most of them. If you have a Desktop PC with a reasonable spec, you could invest in a PCI DVB card £59 and watch them on your PC, but you can buy free to air digital receivers for less than £100.

You can of course also change the language on your Sky digibox and watch Euronews with a Spanish soundtrack.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
rolfw said:
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Spain.shtml will give you a list af all free to air Spanish language channels and the satellites from which they are transmitting.

There are far more spanish channels on 30W in the clear, but you will require a separate digital receiver to watch most of them. If you have a Desktop PC with a reasonable spec, you could invest in a PCI DVB card £59 and watch them on your PC, but you can buy free to air digital receivers for less than £100.

You can of course also change the language on your Sky digibox and watch Euronews with a Spanish soundtrack.

Thanks for the tips rolfw.
I have just checked out the above site. My next query is, (excuse me if I sound really stupid here) as far as i understand, 30W is nearly opposite to 28E which would make my dish pointing at my bedroom. So i would have to fit it on the other site of the house which would make things complicated.

I noticed that there are one or two spanish channels (and few other interesting ones to my taste) on 19.2 and 13E so would it be possible for my old dish to pick both? I am willing to buy a new digital box.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The 30W satellite is only 58 degrees round the arc from 28.2, but if your Sky dish is already close to the westerly line of site from your wall, it would cause problems.

You can receive Hotbird and Astra19.2 from the same dish, but would really need an 80cm. You can buy a monobloc LNB which is designed to pick up both and has its own integral switch.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Hi rolf

yes I knew i'd type something stupid. 58 degrees west would be fine on my wall if i were to move to 30w.

But if i were to ty Hotbird and Astra19.2 option, would i need a bigger dish? as I said before, I'm not sure about the size of my old (analog system) dish, its either 60cm or 80cm?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If it's an 80cm, you should be fine, 60cm is cutting it fine, but you would probanly get reasonable reception most of the time.

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
rolfw said:
If it's an 80cm, you should be fine, 60cm is cutting it fine, but you would probanly get reasonable reception most of the time.

I started by pointing my analogue kit (60 cms in North West) at Hotbird and (I think) there were two Spanish FTA programes. One RTE general entertainment and the other a sort of Spanish world service news.
In this weather you can watch it while drinking a glass of San miguel
and pretend you are really on holiday!

If you buy a digital receiver it is worth getting one with a CAM slot
in it as i am sure you will want to progress further than just FTA stuff.
I have only been involved for a couple of months and it is quite addictive.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
meldrew said:
I started by pointing my analogue kit (60 cms in North West) at Hotbird and (I think) there were two Spanish FTA programes. One RTE general entertainment and the other a sort of Spanish world service news.
In this weather you can watch it while drinking a glass of San miguel
and pretend you are really on holiday!

If you buy a digital receiver it is worth getting one with a CAM slot
in it as i am sure you will want to progress further than just FTA stuff.
I have only been involved for a couple of months and it is quite addictive.

thanx meldrew, I intend to do exactly the same. First i'll have to polish off my knowledge in latitude and longitude. :-) I could ofcourse pay someone to install it but the idea of DIY research already sounds interesting.

Rai

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
RaiUn0 said:
thanx meldrew, I intend to do exactly the same. First i'll have to polish off my knowledge in latitude and longitude. :-) I could ofcourse pay someone to install it but the idea of DIY research already sounds interesting.

Rai

I set my kit up taking it all onto the (flat) garage roof
so I can see the picture while moving the dish. THen I
reconnect the main lead....!

Meldrew