My reciever can't find the SCT Channels

Nufleg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza XT
My Location
Southampton
About 5 years ago we installed a satellite to receive the SCT and Satisfaction channels. All very good and everything worked well. For whatever reasons we didn't renew our SCT card for a few years, but this year decided to do so again.

I bought a Manhattan Plaza XT receiver (having thrown my last one out becuase it was so bulky) and yesterday tried to set it up. Although I can recieve 'lots' of channels on this bad boy, I can't seem to make anything at the required 11.727Ghz frequency stick. Everytihng is 0% signal strength etc.

I've tried to figure out what I am doing wrong, but have failed. We had a new room put on the house inbetween times - is it possible the LNB has been knocked out of aligment which is why I get nadda on this frequency? If this is the case, is therfe any 'test' I can do to see where the dish is actually pointing.

As I said I'm getting lots of channels, but not the one I bought this for (I know that doesn't show me in a very good light, but hopefully you understand my point :) )

Any help or pinters would be great. As I siad the system used to work, I still have line of site etc, just no signal using these seting:n

• Satellite: Hotbird @ 13 degrees East
  • Frequency: 11.727Ghz
  • Polarization: Vertical
  • Symbol Rate: 27,500
  • FEC: 3/4

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its quite possible the dish has become misaligned - give us a few channel names you are getting and we can tell you in no time flat :)

Nufleg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza XT
My Location
Southampton
Thankyou for the quick response. We had a new ROOF not Room installed BTW. Damn sausage fingers.

So I'm not sure where to begin re:channels as it says there are over 400 - however my tiny mind suggested that the ones around that frequency should be useful.

So I can receive 'NHK World TV' on frequency 11681, and also Sky Intro on 11935. However everything in between (seems to be a lot of MTV channels) all say 'Scrambled or No Audio/Video.'

There are probably about 20 odd channels in betwen those two working channels I mentioned above that say 'Scrambled etc...' but none of the Satisfaction Channels actually how up on the menu, whether saying they are scrambled or otherwise.

If you need more information please let me know as I'm not sure which channels to pick to tell you about.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Scan 10773H 22000 5/6 and see if you get some BBC channels. If you do then your dish is aligned on 28E.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Then move the dish approx. 15 degrees further West (or less East!) and raise it a couple of degrees.

Nufleg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza XT
My Location
Southampton
Yup, lots of BBC regional channels abound! :)

Thankyou very much for pointing me in the right direction. I'm clueless, but even I ended up at the conclusion that the dish must have been knocked out of aligment when all the scaffolding etc went up.

So apart from beating it with a stick, how do I (re)align the dish to those degrees of accuracy? I can fairly easily access the dish by going up a ladder, but once there I'm not to sure what to do. My daughter has a Helix Protractor from her old maths set - it that any use? :p

Either way thankyou both for your knowledgeable and quick responses.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Mark the bolts and fixings with indelible ink/marker pen/tippex etc so you can start again if you get lost.

Then slacken the bolts that hold the pole just enough so it can swivel round with gentle pressure on the dish (not so loose its slopping about everywhere) Swing the dish about 15 degrees west (about twice the width of the lnb face will put you in the right ball park, and raise the dish face a LITTLE - half the width of the lnb face will be plenty.

Put the box onto a SCT channel, and turn the telly up - when you hear loud grunts & groans you have found the right satellite :D

DONT try to rush it and DONT try it if you arent confident working up that ladder.....

Once you have found the correct signals peak up the dish alignment by moving the dish a mm at a time in each direction.

Nufleg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza XT
My Location
Southampton
Cool thankyou for those tips. I thought it would need to be more scientific than that, but I guess you push it until you get something (fnarr, fnarr)

We chuckled at your description of how you know that you've found the right channel - luckily there aren't any neighbours within earshot of where we live so that'll also work. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres no real magic to setting a dish up. The difficult bit is actually finding a signal in the first place - which is why I always tell folks who need / want to move their dish to mark the fittings first up in case you get hoplessly lost.

Good luck and remember - take it slowly. Move the dish then wait a few seconds for the receiver to catch up. If you try and rush it I guarantee it'll go t*ts up