My satellite setup

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
update: today got new freesat box, a humax hb-1000s.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Do let us know what you think of it when it's all set up and working.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Do let us know what you think of it when it's all set up and working.
its all setup. surprisingly its faster than the previous Manhattan box.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Why surprising?

Your Humax is the latest generation, unlike my original Foxsat and Foxsat HDR, so surely would be expected to be faster and more responsive than older Freesat makes/models/variants?

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Why surprising?

Your Humax is the latest generation, unlike my original Foxsat and Foxsat HDR, so surely would be expected to be faster and more responsive than older Freesat makes/models/variants.
epg and red button load fast too

A

archive10

Why surprising?

Your Humax is the latest generation, unlike my original Foxsat and Foxsat HDR, so surely would be expected to be faster and more responsive than older Freesat makes/models/variants?
Not necessarily... the latest Humax'es use a web-browser for the UI (all coded in HTML5), whereas I think the originals used a native-language UI process.
My 1010S feels slower than the FoxSat HDR, but I believe this is mostly due to attempts to use visual effects for scrolling rather than just updating the screen...

So even though the main CPU core on the SoC has gotten faster, the graphics requirements for the UI has become heavier.

But it's all a trade-off between making UIs quickly and bug-free, and performance.
Remember the smoothness of those old arcade games? (or even some of the games on microcomputers of the eighties...)
Took a loooong time to code properly - would be very expensive to do, QA, and maintain these days.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Not necessarily... the latest Humax'es use a web-browser for the UI (all coded in HTML5), whereas I think the originals used a native-language UI process.
My 1010S feels slower than the FoxSat HDR, but I believe this is mostly due to attempts to use visual effects for scrolling rather than just updating the screen...

So even though the main CPU core on the SoC has gotten faster, the graphics requirements for the UI has become heavier.

But it's all a trade-off between making UIs quickly and bug-free, and performance.
Remember the smoothness of those old arcade games? (or even some of the games on microcomputers of the eighties...)
Took a loooong time to code properly - would be very expensive to do, QA, and maintain these days.
then how come you can still use the box without net if ui is html5?

A

archive10

then how come you can still use the box without net if ui is html5?
Good question!
The answer is:

Because the HTML files of the UI is held on a local Flash-based RAM disk, so you don't need to be relying on a network connection for the box to work...
(HTML == HyperText Markup Language. Just another text file, really.)

HTML files does not need to be downloaded from a web-server, local versions of the HTML works just fine.
(In fact, that's the way your PC caches HTML content, it downloads the HTML files to your local HDD.)

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Good question!
The answer is:

Because the HTML files of the UI is held on a local Flash-based RAM disk, so you don't need to be relying on a network connection for the box to work...
(HTML == HyperText Markup Language. Just another text file, really.)

HTML files does not need to be downloaded from a web-server, local versions of the HTML works just fine.
(In fact, that's the way your PC caches HTML content, it downloads the HTML files to your local HDD.)
Thats interesting. is the ui on hb-1000s html5?

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
strange im getting better quality on an European beam channel with this box

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
strange im getting better quality on an European beam channel with this box

:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2:-ohcrap

Not surprising as your in catchment area for all 28.2E beams.

European beam channels great here in Norway but not so the UKspot beams:-doh

Work in progress:D

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2:-ohcrap

Not surprising as your in catchment area for all 28.2E beams.

European beam channels great here in Norway but not so the UKspot beams:-doh

Work in progress:D
i had different freesat box before which had lower quality on europe beam than this box i have now

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
i had different freesat box before which had lower quality on europe beam than this box i have now

You can only truly compare these readings by using a common and independent metering device.

The metering designed into boxes is only indicative and shouldn't be relied upon either for accuracy or precision.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
IMG_20170309_152713.jpg here is a picture of my new box so much smaller than my previous freesat box

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
oh the memories of this setup, maybe i could sell the old dish and box one day