My tiny Hispa dish (and other sats too!) *outside* the window (lol)

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
Hehe, first of all, much respek to Skip Channel that started the original thread that generated these variations (@ me + @2cvbloke), and advised me into getting a porty dish :) keep it real bro'! To rapido, the first one i'd seen using a minidish on hispa, to mca, the first one using a porty dish (on a laptop :))
Big respek to rapido,
and nuff respek to Dennis on Sea for giving away his remote ;),
to Peter in the bus for proving me that skystar usbs are are all that! and all the other minidish enthusiasts, analoguesat and cie, you know who you are! ;) (nice one benidormgary for the insight on turning the dish upside down)

here it goes:

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
and me last update: me own private invention aiiiii (respek me!)

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Excellent stuff, especially the perspex/plastic thingy you invented! What's the reception like on the birds you've labelled? Er, that sounds kinda rude!

BTW how high up are you?

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
5th storey, problem with the plastic thingy is that i need my dish pole to be inclined, so if i took the same markings and levelled the pole horizontally, they wouldn't be accurate anymore...

On hispasat, everything's ok, from 50% upwards on all transponders. Even with rain i don't loose a bit ;)

next comes Astra 19.2, very spot on... hotbird's a bit lower, but everything's ok. astra@ 28.2's a lot sketchier... then i get some sats with very very low reception: 7E... some sats i've just been able to pick up recently, on just a few transponders: 16E, 42E...

on the west, i've picked up 5W, a bit of 8W and hardly anything on 12.5W. and haven't picked up anything else than 30W

I'm now using a globo gold edition 0.3 dB(is it really?) i've picked for under 7€, but it doesn't seem to give much more than the original 0.6dB from the porty... i'm wondering if an mti blue line or something of the like would give me more of an edge. I am quite keen on trying out a mesh zone 1 dish, as i can't really use anything as big as 60cm outside my window (unless it's transparent - but that's way too expensive).
Originally, i fancied a sg2100 with a 60cm transparent, but juste the hassle of getting it up and running plus the price vs opening up the window and moving my porty by hand...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Looks good that, I really like your little plastic thingy with the satellite positions drawn on!!! :D
My Porty dish isn't that well used but I'm hoping to use it on 5W once it warms up so I can attatch it outdoors to a window upstairs (there's a few light fingered people round here, so the higher the better...). However, since I used it outdoors at the old house the little silver bit on the arm of the dish went a bit rusty, so you may want to spray it with some WD40 (or nearest equivalent) so it doesn't get an orange coating...

If you want something other than a minidish, try finding an Attisat FL500 on eBay, it's a brilliant FPA and looks nicer than a dish. Cost, well, if you're careful with your bidding it shouldn't cos more than £30, I got mine for around £20 and it's been very useful, I just don't have anywhere to fit it!!! :-ohmy

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi there 2cv, welcome to me thread ;) aiiii

Know what? What i'd really fancy is a cassegrain-prime focus kinda minidish, like a mimo or something of the like. they look quite sexy technology-wise!

Have you done a reception contest between your porty and your attisat? i wonder how it would behave on hispa for me... if something like that did ok on hispa than i could probably sneak that outside just for it and put a multifeed mesh dish pointed the other way, to 28.2,+19.2+13E... (wonder if anyone has ever done it)... neighbours would probably carry on seeing just one dish and not have any more reason to complain... :D

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
oh yeah, forgot to say, thanks for the tip on the wd40... mine's doing the same actually. btw, how does wd40 help prevent the rust? would have thought the whole thing just dripped off...

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Nice.. wish i could do something like that :)

Where you get the skystar usb from?? and how much it set you back??? after one for a laptop im thinking of getting.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
bid0n said:
Have you done a reception contest between your porty and your attisat? i wonder how it would behave on hispa for me...

Well, an indoor comparison, the Attisat does a lot better than the Porty dish, but even with the attisat properly aligned I don't get much quality on the only analogue channel on Hispa (a few sparklies), but it does well... :D

As for the WD40, it creates a film which protects it from the rain, keeping the water off the metal (and in both our cases prevents any further rusting)...

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just got an mti blue line twin...

This thing is *amazing*!!!!!!! Feels like my dish went 3 times bigger!! I wonder what you can pick up with a larger dish!

@yeshi, sorry mate, just read your post... i picked it up on ebay, but i'm still struggling to get it to work properly. After being put off since december by the stuttering video on skystar 2 cards in general, i've found out a few programs that don't stutter, but are very unstable: ritzdvb and dvbdream. They're rendering the image a lot better than progdvb or mytheatre or hispadvb, which stutter a lot because of the timeshift feature -ritz and dvbdream don't do timeshift at all and image's quite alright.
i just wished altdvb worked with my usb card!

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
One of the things i love about my porty is its easyness of setting up, bolting and adjusting. I wish i can find something i can adapt to other dishes to make them as easy as my porty, with the advantage of bigger dishes

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
here's a pic of my setup last summer...
things have evolved now and i shall be posting a few pics with new gear soon i hope ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Excellent kamaleon a neat install and effective use of limited space

Can I suggest safety chains lightly wrapped around the lnb arms and wrapped around the balcony. If they come adrift in a gust of wind they could do an awful lot of damage when they land..

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Excellent kamaleon a neat install and effective use of limited space
Just wait until you see my next setup :D

Can I suggest safety chains lightly wrapped around the lnb arms and wrapped around the balcony. If they come adrift in a gust of wind they could do an awful lot of damage when they land..
:-pointer

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
love it m8 nice view, i would love to have a view like that clear of trees and houses.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks m8, know what? i chose this flat because of E-W clear sky :-rofl2 - honestly!

Back then i was only putting minidishes on. Now, after the world cup i'm mostly counting on feeds and the odd bird i wasn't tuning to before - so a nice balcony were i could put my philips (fibostop) gregorian dish would be nicer really.
Oh well...

leighpreece

Vintage Sat enthusiast!
Reaction score
Website
www.m5gwh.net
My Satellite Setup
90cm Dish. Dual Lemon LNB for 13E/19E. Twin Output Lemon LNB for 28.8E.
Samsung 9500 with 'alternative' firmware.
Couple of DigiBoxes. Amateur Radio station. Going Bald with a patient wife!
My Location
Stoke on Trent, UK.
Very creative setup mate - all pics and dishes look smart.

I live in sight of a lot of high-rises - and they all have a walkway type balcony that the council have now enclosed (probably a health and safety thing) but can be accessed if you remove the window when required.

I've a friend Alan who lives in one - he's put a pole across his walkway windows into socket type clamps either side (the kind you see that hold the bars on buses).

He uses lighting clamps for his dishs to clamp them in place and has steel wires on for support attached to a weight inside the walkway.

So far (last visit) he has a 45cm dish in place for 28.8, larger 'minidish' for 19E/13E and also his amateur radio aerials (a vertical for 2/70cm and dipole for 4m plus a wire dipole that stretches to his lounge window one side and main staircase windows on the others.

Think I spotted a DAB dipole too as the windows can be seen from my daughters school yard and I always look at them when I collect her in the afternoon.

I asked if the council said anything about it - he said yes as the block manager had called them for him - but as the dishes and aerials can easily be removed due to the clamps, they've told him they consider them 'temporary' and he can take them away if he moves out.

(Just don't think they've found the 'longwire' aerial that goes up from his flat to the flat roof yet - hee hee!!!!)

Leigh....

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
what are you groing by your dish???

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nice one leigh, any chance of seeing some pics from your mate's setup? Might gimme some good ideas :D