My tiny Hispa dish (through window!)

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Here's the dish I use for Hispasat it measures at just 37.5cm (w) x 42cm (h)! To top it off it is indoors, looking out at the 30 west through double glazing *and* it has the window frame effectively knocking off a little bit more of the width.

I get all the european transponders except: 11535 V, 11579 H, 11615 H, 11676 H, 12547 V and the low symbol rate transponders (which are mostly sporadic feeds).

It's hooked up to a FortecStar Ultimate. I have another dish outside for Astra 1 and 2.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Excellent. More inspiriration for those dishless viewers. I'm amazed :D

Maurice1

Reaction score
My Location
DUblin
well done - I never knew that the signal would go through glass. I am interested to know where you are approx to get the signal
Maurice

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I never liked when neighbours looked at me from behind the windows, hehehe....

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Cheers BGonaSTICK and Maurice1. It really wasn't too difficult to achieve it's making sure you're getting a good signal on all the transponders you want to watch that is the problem (especially when I decide to swing the thing around to 13 east ...or 5 east, 5 west or 8 west!).

Maurice1, I'm located in southern England.

Likvid, it does kinda look like a giant head doesn't it?! It doen't seem so bad from the ground outside but I'm not sure what my neighbours think of it. I don't know if any of 'em have any idea what it is!

Talking about looking at neighbours, see if you can spot a hidden camera in those pictures!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Skip Channel said:
Talking about looking at neighbours, see if you can spot a hidden camera in those pictures!

Pictures 2, 3 and 6? perhaps?, what are you monitoring???

BTW your pictures remind me of how I started off in satellites reception with a 35cm dish through double glazed patio windows watching BsB on the sat that is now called Thor I think mmm memory fails me

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Yep, 2, 3 and 6. At the moment I'm not monitoring anything (it's off at the switch) but it's a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood so I put it on from time to time. It's also handy to check on taxis, lifts from friends, deliveries and if I get the local kids/salesmen/jehovahs buzzing me.

toppervte33h, you're probably the first person ever to try DTH sat reception behind double glazing (well at least in this country!).

SatMagick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sat tv
My Location
Europe
Are you very lucky !!!! In greece / athens i need dish 1.20 for satellite Hispasat 1D , transponters 24/7, 11535, 11615, . With receiver Echostar 3600 LNB MTI 0.6 Signle.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Lol reminds me of the time when i worked for sky and this women lived in a flat and she had a sky dish bolted onto the wall furthest away from the window.. when she wanted to watch telly she simply opened her window.. lol.. she lived in a building which didnt allow dishes.. yet the building didnt have a sat dish :S

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Argh! There's me being all chuffed about my setup and now I'm having trouble pulling in the transponders with Fox and MTV2 on!

Weather shouldn't be a problem as the sky has been nice and clear (bar some oil clouds!*) with not a rain cloud in sight.

Looks like signal fluctuations from the satellite - probably wouldn't be a problem if the window was bigger or the dish outside. ;)

*TBH I can only see the oil clouds out my rear windows (to the north).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Skip Channel said:
Yep, 2, 3 and 6. At the moment I'm not monitoring anything (it's off at the switch) but it's a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood so I put it on from time to time. It's also handy to check on taxis, lifts from friends, deliveries and if I get the local kids/salesmen/jehovahs buzzing me.

toppervte33h, you're probably the first person ever to try DTH sat reception behind double glazing (well at least in this country!).

Fraid not - ive seen several pics of folks doing the same.

:-snowman

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Hi Skipchannel

Wow great work! Where did you get the stand from? Where did you get the dish? Have you adapted it from something else? Or was it a Lidl special?

I'm inspired to try to get Astra in my bedroom. Tell me all.

Which way are the oil clouds heading?

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
Skip Channel said:
Looks like signal fluctuations from the satellite - probably wouldn't be a problem if the window was bigger or the dish outside.

or just try opening the window...

cts

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
Fraid not - ive seen several pics of folks doing the same.:-snowman

in 1989 ??? If that's the case then they beat me

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Here's some more pictures. As you can see I've changed the base (using the sucker mount instead of the clamp) and changed the co-ax to white so it blends in better!

eghamhigh - The dish is a Lidl special! If you're lucky you might be able to get one for £50 off of eBay. Unfortunately sat dealers don't tend to do them (at least in this country) so Lidl, eBay or a continental dealer is the way to go. The dish would be a lot cheaper if it came without the receiver (it's not a very good one)! FWIW the oil clouds have passed.

closetosoton - I could open the window but it's freezing cold at the moment! Well, actually the window only opens an inch, I haven't figured out how to open it any more (and it would open up the wrong way anyway)!

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
A few years ago I had an indoor dish. It was a 1m tied to a computer swivel chair. After a while I got the hang of how far to move it left and right and how to tilt it slightly forward or backward to get sats from 42E to 15W. There were a few others on that forum that many of us visit who reported setting up a Sky minidish inside, some of them fixed to a wooden plinth or attached to a tripod stand etc. And if you close the curtains no one can see in the window or see your dish.It's amazing how well it sometimes (but not always) works thru D/G.
Skip even asked some questions at the time about it.

J

Jeff_19341

I remember those threads MBK:-thumbup .
Really upset some of the "$ly ladder monkeys" who said that it could not be done, but you and others proved them wrong:-HoHo .
BTW, how is Brenda nowadays:-Cbigsmil ?
:-hny

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
JuMbuCk said:
I remember those threads MBK:-thumbup .
Really upset some of the "$ly ladder monkeys" who said that it could not be done, but you and others proved them wrong:-HoHo .
BTW, how is Brenda nowadays:-Cbigsmil ?
:-hny

Sky said it was imposile to lign a mini dish up without the use of a sat metre.. and they where proved wrong..