Mysterious Channels Comin Outa My Wall?!?!

vintage76

Reaction score
Hey ppl,

I've got an odd one here. I've just moved into a new flat, and was in the midst of hookin the telly up to the aerial, when i noticed there were two diff aerial leads. The first one i plugged in was just a regular analogue feed with Chs 1-4... My tv picked em up straight away as they were in the same place as the last flat. So then i plugged in the other lead, it had a satellite type connection on it (sorry for my severely non-techy terms - i mean a coax connector with a little screw-nut on it). Anyroad, i fixed a normal coax connection to the end, plugged it into my telly, and did an autotune.

I'm not at home at the moment, but from memory it picked up these channels:

BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, ITV2, Ch4, BBC3, BBC4, Trouble/TheAdultChannel, BBC Parliament, SkyMovies(1 i think), a couple ntl:home advert pages for footie matches.... and a strange screen from someone's Windows Desktop showing lots of green lines n techy info. Looks like some kinda scanner prog, but i can't read the writing in the menubar to see what it's called.

How's this happenin? Who's doin it? Also, there's a load of channels it's picked up, that're *just* outa tune, looks like the vert-hold needs adjustin on them, but when i finetune, it don't pick them up... To my uneducated eye, it looks like the signal's too strong for the telly... but mebbe it's just scrambled. Is there anyway i can get these channels?

Anyway, movin into a house to find free Adult Channel access... okay, it's cheesy stuff mostly, but better'n nothin.

Any help on what this is all about, would be MOST appreciated.

Cheers,
V76

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You have attached an NTL cable to your TV, the last tenants obviously had cable and you are picking up the free channels. :)

vintage76

Reaction score
Trouble & The Adult Channel are free channels?
And what about the Windows Desktop screen?
Do NTL users all get that?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some of these channels can be picked up free with a TV capable of tuning outside the normal UHF band.

vintage76

Reaction score
Cool.. Well i guess that could be it then... It did say it was searchin VHF as well as UHF. Do you know if there's any way of gettin the other *almost there* channels? Sometimes i can pick the soundtrack out of em, but always the pic is jumbled around, but not like when i've seen 'scrambled' channels before.
(thanks for the quick reply, n quality info ROLFW)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You may find that some of the channels are not PAL, I think that there is at least one french channel on there, this is probably one of the ones which looks like the vertical hold has gone.

Not sure that you can get more than you already have, I have seen people occasionally scan in the Disney Channel, but then couldn't return to it later.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

I recently installed a new TV for a familly member in Ireland, and they are subscribers to Chorus the local cable company.

There are some premium channels available at a higher subscription rate than the one they pay, and these come through exactly as you have described.

I guess this is the encrytion method the cable company uses, and I wouldn't mind betting there is a way to making it available if you can find the right Forum.

Kind regards

W. Hole