Lynford

Reaction score
............well, I hope it is !!!:confused

I am trying to set up a system, but cannot get it to work. I have:

A TV - 1 Scart connection
A Satellite system (Pace - Sky) - 2 Scarts
A VCR - 2 Scarts
A DVD player - 1 Scart

And a Video sender, to send the signal to an upstairs bedroom (this does work, as I've had it running with just the Sat box)

I also have a 3-way Scart splitter, which in my hands might as well be a lump of wood !!

Can anyone help with the configuration please, and/or suggest anything I need to buy to get up and running ?

I have attached a diagram below. It's not exactly a Rolf Harris, but hopefully it will help explain what I am rambling on about !!!

Thanks for any help :)

sat.jpg

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You should be able to get away with

DVD to Video 2nd scart
Video 1st scart to Sky VCR socket
Sky TV socket to 3 way splitter
3 way splitter to TV and video sender.

Lynford

Reaction score
rolfw said:
You should be able to get away with

DVD to Video 2nd scart
Video 1st scart to Sky VCR socket
Sky TV socket to 3 way splitter
3 way splitter to TV and video sender.
Thanks for such a fast reply Rolf :)

I've set it up like that, and it does switch between upstairs and downstairs. However, the DVD does not give anything (even with everything else switched off) and the VCR only provides sound with a blank blue screen.

Have you got any ideas please ? Do you think it could be an equipment / lead fault ?

Cheers,
Lynford.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It should work like that, but it is not guaranteed, as some videos do not allow the through link. You may need to buy a switchable scart box, there is a thread on the forum from a few months back about them, so you could have the Digibox and the video looping through it to the switch, then the DVD on another socket on the switch.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Some DVD players have a copy protection feature called Macrovision that means you can only connect them to a TV, not a VCR. This is to prevent copying DVDs to video. There is sometimes a secret key sequence to disable this.

On my DVD player, the macrovision only applies to the SCART connection. I get around it by using the analogue connections and an analogue-to-SCART lead. A fortunate oversight by the manufacturers!({})

I've always thought SCART connections are more trouble than they are worth. I prefer to modulate all the signals into the aerial coax and then distribute it all around the house.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The DVD might be putting out an RGB signal which, as Rolf says, the VCR might not be allowing through.

Connect the DVD to the TV directly and look for an option in the menu somewhere about switching to composite or PAL video.

BTW I presume that the TV understands RGB otherwise you'll never be able to change the menu!

If the VCR by itself gives sound but no vision check the VCR to TV scart connection carefully. It sounds like the connection is dicky somewhere. Try one of the other cables here as well to be sure.

PaulR