NDS go after dreambox

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
Thursday, 08 September 2005
NDS who developed the Videoguard encryption which is used by Sky UK/Italia is in war with Dream Multimedia who produces the Dreambox.

It started last year with NDS demanding Dream Multimedia to remove the Ethernet Connector on all Dreamboxes. Also NDS demanded to cease the publication of the open-source software which is used by all Dreamboxes. Of course Dream Multimedia didn't listen to these ridiculous demands.

Now NDS wants the ETSI organisation who is responsible for the DVB standard to reject the license to all Dreamboxes. All Dreamboxes are fully DVB compliant, which is already approved h-t-t-p://w-w-w.dvb.org/index.php?id=104&mid=2831

This license could be in danger because NDS is a big investor in ETSI.

Although the DVB license is very important to Dream Multimedia they still could produce Dreamboxes, but they couldn't be sold anymore with the DVB logo.

Finally NDS wants IBM to stop supplying the PowerPC cpu to Dream Multimedia, because their receivers wouldn't be DVB compliant.

Why is NDS taking these actions to the developer of a very popular Satellite receiver? The Dreambox is at this moment one of the few open-standard Satellite receivers who is capable to decrypt (legal) NDS/Videoguard cards. Because of the Ethernet connector on almost every Dreambox cardsharing has become reality. This would be the major concern of NDS at the moment, because it's quite easy to share NDS/Videoguard cards this way.

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
If Dream Multimedia was an English company Murdoch would have them closed.
Well I suppose that the days of NDS on DreamBox are counted, BSkyB will stop the unwelcome addition to the family of receivers one way or another.
I hope it will not be soon as my old Pace died on me in March and since then I am using our beloved Dbox for $ky.
We shall see.....

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
It's like guns and bullets, Dreamboxes don't do anything illegal - the same as Video recorders, Tape recorders, Computers the list goes on....

Just because something has the 'capability' of doing something they want to stop everyone from using them.

NDS must be worried... why?

Do they know something we don't?

As for IBM Power PC chips - now that Apple have announced that they will stop using them, they may not want to lose another customer.

That said, they will be used in all three new game consoles.

Jeux sans frontiers

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Only time will tell. Wonder will Dreamboxs reach an all time high sales. May be the prospect of Dream Multimedia bending to Skys pressure or even a payoff.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I wonder just how many digiboxes supplied for use on the BSkyB platform would pass the standards required for DVB or CE approval, if random samples were taken from the production lines.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central

Tiggy

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Didn't DMM back into Visoduck?

Expect the sky codes soon perhaps in retaliation?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
After sorting out DMM, they'll need to take on the Taiwanese manufacturers Armas, makers of the Triple Dragon :D

Llew

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Lancelot said:
It's a knockout, surely.

L. :D

Games without frontiers

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yes that was the name of the European version running at the same time. :)

L.

Tiggy

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Lancelot said:
It's a knockout, surely.

L. :D

Heh heh, up and under Eddie.
Lets see if they can get through this Heh heh Stu, without the joker. :-jest :-jest :-jest :-jest :-jest M:W
:-jest :-jest :-jest

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Butterbox said:
Thursday, 08 September 2005
NDS who developed the Videoguard encryption which is used by Sky UK/Italia is in war with Dream Multimedia who produces the Dreambox.

It started last year with NDS demanding Dream Multimedia to remove the Ethernet Connector on all Dreamboxes. Also NDS demanded to cease the publication of the open-source software which is used by all Dreamboxes. Of course Dream Multimedia didn't listen to these ridiculous demands.

Now NDS wants the ETSI organisation who is responsible for the DVB standard to reject the license to all Dreamboxes. All Dreamboxes are fully DVB compliant, which is already approved h-t-t-p://w-w-w.dvb.org/index.php?id=104&mid=2831

This license could be in danger because NDS is a big investor in ETSI.

Although the DVB license is very important to Dream Multimedia they still could produce Dreamboxes, but they couldn't be sold anymore with the DVB logo.

Finally NDS wants IBM to stop supplying the PowerPC cpu to Dream Multimedia, because their receivers wouldn't be DVB compliant.

Why is NDS taking these actions to the developer of a very popular Satellite receiver? The Dreambox is at this moment one of the few open-standard Satellite receivers who is capable to decrypt (legal) NDS/Videoguard cards. Because of the Ethernet connector on almost every Dreambox cardsharing has become reality. This would be the major concern of NDS at the moment, because it's quite easy to share NDS/Videoguard cards this way.

Very interesting. They obviously cannot solve the problem themselves (technically) if they have to resort to this kind of sabre-rattling. Load of hot air if you ask me. Desperation measures ;)

What about the CAM/firmware manufacturers?