Need a few "Sticky's"

Shaan

Reaction score
Hiya,

Absolute newbie out here venturing into the Viaccess world!! Though I am pretty good with the US Dishnetwork system. So...I am not that much lost. I can make sense of what I read!! ;)

Anyway...WONDERFUL site and I went thru all the nine pages here as well as some of the other topics. But, being a newbie, I was looking for absolute basic intructions and noticed that you'll don't have any kind of newbie guides or Stickys like they have in the US forums. There are quite a few knowledgeable folks out here in this forum itself and putting together a newbie guide should not be a problem.

Look at me....I am lost. I have a Viaccess card (Most probably Via1 ... Being used in UAE via cable) and all I was looking for was the first steps.
1. How do you read this card?? What type of Programmer?? Software??
2. Is this card programmable??
3. The dump from the card..how is made sense of?? What do you look for??
4. Do recievers have to be "modded"??
5. If the cards are not programmable then WHAT are the alternates??
etc. etc...

Please bear with me and hold my hand a little. Remember...You ALL were at my stage at some time in this field.

Thankz and hopefully in the near future I maybe able to contribute.

Shaan.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are a few threads in the FAQ and How to forum Shaan, but we made a decision to avoid having too many stickies, as they cltter the top of each forum page and in most cases people don't read them anyway.

We don't cover cable TV (if that is what you are receiving) but obviously a card is a card, there is an excellent site www.duwati.com with some very interesting information on cards and programmers.

Shaan

Reaction score
Thankz for the reply Rolfw. Appreciate it. Already checked out duwati.com. Nothing on Viaccess. Still under construction.

I did checkout the FAQ and "How To's" but nothing there for the beginner. It was more item specific like the proggys themselves.

Yes...I guess my folks are recieving their TV via cable...but a card is a card. I did not come across a FAQ on Viaccess anywhere so far. Suprisingly, out here in the US, we know that you guys in Europe are far advanced in "testing" ;) than the US. Half the time, the programs released for US providers have been helped by their "cousins" across the ponds. Take a look at the Rom3/Rom10 hack for Charlie. Released by some guys in Spain. Take a look at the work being done on Nagra2. (Germany!!). I thought it would be a piece of cake finding basic info. :)

Getting off topic there.....Anyway, I understand your point about Sticky's. Some of the forums I visit out here have a bunch of Sticky's right at the top and in walks a Newbie and ask the stupidest question imaginable without bothering to read the sticky or using the "Search" button. Grrrrrrrrr......

Still.....I am at square one. I am still looking for the "baby" steps. Any help out there???

Thankz.

Shaan.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Shaan

Reaction score
Wow...What a site. Thank you Rolfw!! Appreciate it. Expect me back to eat everybodies brains out here once I get a "handle" on this.

Shaan.