Need advice, about to buy a Sat- set

N

nic_turbo

Ok, I have now decided to purchase my satellite set. I would appriciate if you guys could give a suggestion on a very good setup.

Just like "ckrys1" below I would like to get the panamsats at 43-45 W, "I guess that has been tricky" And also other sats all around.

I guess I need a multiformat reciever, what would be a good choice?

I need advice on "all items" that I will need. I do already have a TV set that will work. "2old" has helped me explain many things, so I sort of know what I'm getting into.

But please let me know what you think is a very good setup
for what I'm wanting. And who has good deals on the equipment?

Thanks, Nic "an American in Sweden"

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Knowing that you want American TV, I need to know what part of Sweden and how much you want to pay

In South Sweden its got to be a solid dish of around 2.4m with both separate C and Ku band feeds (not combined)

Get a dual (analogue and digital) receiver with polariser control

You should get at least 20 American channels straight away in digital and analogue with plenty (300 +)of other European/Eastern stuff. No cards necessary at the beginning.

And a good installer!

N

nic_turbo

2old informed me that Stockholm is at lat 59.3 and long 7 deg. So it is fairly South for being in Sweden. He mentioned that I would be able to reach the Panamsats at 43-45 West. My house has a great location on the top of a hill, with nothing to hinder the signals.

I'm looking at spending about $1300 or a about 13.000-14.000SEK. Man I wish Sweden would have switched to the Euro like most other countries.

Are there certain brands that might be better then others? I guess the Humax 5400 might be a good option?

I guees it needs to be analogue and digital. Then I would like to get the C-band and the Ku band, so I guess the large dish is required?

And it requires that I can watch Pal and NTSC.I also would like to get be able to use some of the cards later on. Will I need a hobby card to watch these American channels? At Lyngsat it seems like most of the channels at 43-45 West are encrypted. Like ESPN ans Fox Sports.

What other sats carry American channels?

I guees I need to spend some cash, but that is OK! let me know what you think is a good option as far as the equipment goes.

Nic

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A good 2.4m dish and polarmount with actuator (we use the Prodelin 3 piece solid antenna) would set you back just over £900

A post and bolt kit to fit this would be another £ 170

Then two feeds and LNBs (calculate just over £150)

A receiver (Analogue/digital with positioner ) £400 ?

Cable, connectors, and fitting - unknown but estimate £500 (2 days) for a local guy in the UK

And then the cards, programmer and additional sundries again £ ?

14000 SEK is how much in real money ?

N

nic_turbo

1300SEK is about 900 British Pound, I guess I'm looking at around 2000 Pound or so, which is ok. I get a very favorable exchange rate with U.S. Dollars.

Is there a specific brand of equipment that you would say is better then the rest, and also is there a online shop that I can trust ordering from?????

I want to try to get things ordered here in about 2 weeks.

Later, Nic

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Glad you corrected that, I almost fell off my chair when I heard that the Swedish economy had taken such an upturn

Anyhow with £1000 you wont get a 2.4m or even a 1.8m with receiver (unless you start looking around the second hand market)

You can kiss your original US programmes goodbye from the West then

With a 1.2m however you should get some of the Scandinavian generated channels that include US sports (TV3 I know has many of the American footbal / ice hockey / netball - however these are not live and may be as much as a week old)

Some German channels on Astra have late night imports from the US, and Fox News is free on the European birds

It wont be the same though, sell the V8 and get some more cash.

N

nic_turbo

I sold the V8 yesterday. That gave me 11.000$ U.S. Dollars. I will get a smaller and cheaper car for driving in Sweden. Maybe a Volvo or a Saab? We are also bringing our 2001 Honda Accord. My wife really would like to get some live feeds from the U.S. So I guess I will looking at spending some more money on the Sat-system.

I think I will go with the 2.4 size. I talked to a dealer today and his prices are right around what you said they would be. He suggested a Humax 5400 or another (Nokia something?)They seemd to have the same type of gadgets.With the 2.4 he thought I should be able to reach 43-45 West.

Are 43-45 west the only sats that for viewing U.S. feeds??AtLyngat it seems like they only have like ESPN, FOX sports and amybe 2 other U.S. channels, seems like most other channels are directed towards South America.

Yeah, Sweden stayed away from getting the Euro, I'm sure they regret it. It is not like Great Britain and Norway with stronger economies, that can afford to keep their own currency.

Nic.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
$11,000, now your talking

Get a moped and something like Jodrell Bank (you will need good neighbours, or live next to a cemetary)

Seroiusly there are other US programmes out there but they will be interspersed with all manner of temporary feeds on most satellites to the West.

Youre not going to get ESPN unless your local dealer can work miracles with the 5400.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I forgot to say

The Analogue side of things is still very active on C band, make sure this is in the system.

Lyngsat.com will show whats around.

N

nic_turbo

I'm going to shop for stuff next week on Tuesday. Do you not like the 5400?

Any suggestions of another reciever?

Later Nic!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The 5400 certainly has its advantages, but Ive seen that there are so many variants, unless you get a good dealer, he will sell you one thats not quite up to scratch

If you want embedded solution then this one is the way to go

As I probably mentioned before, get a solid dish, not mesh, and install it near the house, otherwise you will have to sweep the snow off it in the winter rather than train a hose on it.

D

dunk

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-Jan-02 AT 01:23 PM (GMT)]>I sold the V8 yesterday. That gave me 11.000$ U.S. Dollars.
>I will get a smaller and cheaper car for driving in Sweden.
>Maybe a Volvo or a Saab? We are also bringing our 2001 Honda
>Accord. My wife really would like to get some live feeds
>from the U.S. So I guess I will looking at spending some
>more money on the Sat-system.

Off Topic i know, but a bit of friendly advice about the honda accord.

US honda accords are different to models sold in europe, and so parts may be difficult to get hold of. the accord coupe is quite similar, but the 4 door sedan is completely different.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I used to have the very early Accord saloons (Hong Kong import with aircon and twin carbs). A brilliant car which rusted away in this country

You should have no problems with getting parts in Sweden (the Internet makes it much easier to get grey import)