ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
www.satellitestuff.bravehost.com
My Satellite Setup
Analogue FTA - Maspro ST9,
Sky Digibox - Amstrad DRX100(no subscription),
Digital FTA - Manhattan Plaza ST100 with motorised 98CM dish.
My Location
Essex, UK
hi, i'm new and i hope i dont upset anyone by posting this as it has probably been said a thousand times :-newb .

I recently recieved a Manhattan Plaza ST100, a 0.3db universal LNB, a 98CM Funke dish and two DiSEqC H-H Motors from RedAltoGL, yes i am the newbie who got it, lol :) I am extreamly grateful.

I decided to try out one of the motors so i bolted it to a pole and then bolted the dish to the motor as it would be. Now i had the channels from 19.2 allready tuned in and the motor moved to 19.2 (well about 23 but when its at 0 its really at about 4) so i moved the whole setup (dish, motor etc) on the pole until i got maximum signal. However when i try to go to other birds the motor goes to far round so the picture comes and then goes, in some cases it had gone in the wrong direction :-doh! :confused and in others it just doesnt move.

Now from what i remember i think Redmund said that he put the motor at zero and lined it up to hotbird, but i am not completly sure if thats what he said and he wont be online for a few days while he's moving.
I am just really confused at the moment and need help, i know the receiver has two options, either 1.2 or usals and the motor i am using is a 1.2 so thats what i have it on.
Also, if i manually move the dish through the menu i can locate many birds so i know its half working :)

thanks for any help and advice, i did look in other threads but it didnt help :D

ShaunSat AKA freeview_mad on digitalspy forums

edit: thinking about it after seeing another members dish i think i may have the motor upside down :-doh! Is the arm (the bit that moves) supposed to be upwards or downwards or does it depend on what make you have. I will try it and see because i think thats half the problem.
edit edit: i dont think its wrong after all :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are some motors where the armature points up and others where it points downwards, normally the F connectors will be on the underside. :)

If you have entered your coordinates into the receiver and drive the motor to 13E, then move the whole assembly on the pole and the dish elevation until you find Hotbird, that would roughly set the dish, but better to set it on 1W, which is close to due South for you.

RedAltoGL

Now leaving, thanks all.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LNB, Dish, Motor, Cable, Receivers all taken down and donated to a newbie.
My Location
London
Hi ShaunSat
I have sent you emails.
Just to put things straight I never mentioned setting up on 19.2E.
Best of luck with your searching, will look for you after tomorrows hectic day of moveing.
That's me gone off of the board, thanks for letting me be a member, bye.
Redmund

ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
thanks for all your help, i had another go at it today and found that if i had a bird lined up and working, and then selected "re-sync" followed by "store" it would mess it all up. From what it says in the manual if you find one bird and then select this all the other positions should be ok but i could only get Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 16 to work correctly. I then thought "what if i dont select re-sync, just manually line up each bird and save them and it worked :)
I have about 13 positions set up at the moment and it works great. No more leaning out the window and moving the dish, especially in the rain lol.

@RedAltoGL, sorry, i didnt make my last post clear, i meant hotbird as in 16 E not 19.2 E :)

thanks once again

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Glad you have it working, but as a small correction, hotbird is 13E, 16E is EutelsatW2. :D

ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
rolfw said:
Glsd you have it working, but as a small correction, hotbird is 13E, 16E is EutelsatW2. :D

ahh, thanks for that, i've been thinking sat's all day and keep getting them mixed up. O-Ha
As i said in an e-mail to RedAltoGL, i will try out USALS tomorrow as he said its easier and it sure looks it. :)

just a quick question but if i lined my dish upto 28.2 E and then swung it round 180 deg so its facing the opposite direction, would there be a sat in that direction that could be recieved or would they be too far away/ beyond the horizon?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
All of the receivable satellites are on the Clarke belt, this is over the equator, so 180 degrees would be pointing in the opposite direction. You can generally work on about 45 degrees (perhaps a few more), either side of your due South.

ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
ahh, i thought it wouldnt be possible. Dont know why i started thinking about it, but the mind does work in mysterious ways :D