Need help on set up

Reaction score
Website
www.osbornewebspace.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
Well I put my dish up today and motor I have set up the best that I can but when i scan for Satellites and only can pick up one Satellite that is Astra3 23.5E when I tell it to go say Eurobird the dish move but no signal.
what am I doing wrong !!

I Have a fortec star
80 cm dish
DisEqc 1.2 Motor
51.15 N 03.0 W
Not sure if I should be using Usals or DisEqc 1.2

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Your problem could be a number of things, including:-

Pole not perfectly vertical.

Motor elevation/Latitude not set correctly for your latitude.

Dish elevation or motor azimuth not set correctly.

Dish not mounted centrally on motor stub.

For easy setup you should be using USALS. USALS is just a bit of software on the receiver that once it has your Lat and Long, and dish has been adjusted for the satellite closest to your due south, it calculates how much to rotate the motor for all the other sats. The dish is still moved using DiSEqC, but via USALS.

Follow Rolfw's tutorial in conjunction with your motor and receiver manual and you won't go far wrong.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ms/90916-setup-guide-moteck-diseqc-motor.html

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
My Motor says it only DisEqc 1.2 will my receiver still work using USALS and how do I work out my closest Satellite

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How did you determine your due South position?

Until you have found your due South satellite, it is pointless trying to find satellites by moving the dish.

If your motor doesn't accept USALs commands, then you can drive it manually to two points west on the motor scale, then try and find Atlanticbird at 5W, once found, you can then start moving the motor to other satellites.

There are no real short cuts in setting up a motor, you need to follow all of the steps to achieve a working setup.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Since your Longitude is 3W either 5W or 3W will do. Either of these will
be near to the top of your arc.

Consult Lyngsat.com to find out which transponder gives the best footprint
for the UK and use that.

As I said before, USALS is just software, DiSEqC stands for Digital Satellite Eqipment Control, and is the actual communication protocol
that is used down the coax between the receiver and the motor.

I believe that USALS will work with any DiSEqC 1.2 motor. Try it, see if the dish moves via USALS.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some DiseqC motors will not respond to USALs/Goto x commands as these are enhanced DiseqC functions, but as you say, is worth trying.

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
My Motor is a Moteck SG2100A some sites say its works with USALs but the box says DiseQC 1.2 so not sure on that one.
I found South by finding Hotbird which my reciver says it at 1e.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The Moteck will respond to USALs commands from most receivers.

Hotbird is at 13 East and nowhere near your due South, please read one of the guides above, as the reason you are not getting results, is because you are not following the basic steps.

Send your dish to Thor 1W using USALs, then don't touch the motor controls again, until your have found Thor, by manually moving the whole assemply on the mast and the dish elevation. Once found, save the satellite and you can then start using the receiver controls to find other satellites, the receiver should pretty much do this automatically once you have a satellite saved..

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
Hi Thanks for all your help trying to use the manal which is not helping which says
with these setings below it tells me to set elevation to 39(motor) with declination of 7.4 and dish bracket to 22.6
Lat: 51:15:39N
Lon: 0:30:11W
Also Thor 1w is not in the list of satellites on my receiver so input manually
And my receiver says Hotbird is at 1w??.

Once agine many thanks for all your help

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The two most important things are getting the pole absolutely vertical
and the correct elevation/latitude setting on the motor.

The dish elevation can be set by adjustment for maximum signal level
for your chosen due south satellite together with the motor azimuth.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
osbornewebspace said:
Hi Thanks for all your help trying to use the manal which is not helping which says
with these setings below it tells me to set elevation to 39(motor) with declination of 7.4 and dish bracket to 22.6
Lat: 51:15:39N
Lon: 0:30:11W
Also Thor 1w is not in the list of satellites on my receiver so input manually
And my receiver says Hotbird is at 1w??.

Once agine many thanks for all your help

On your moteck motor, there is a latitude scale, set that to your latitude, Thor 1 West may also be listed as Intelsat, but it will be in the list somewhere, if your receiver thinks that Hotbird is at 1W, then you need to delete that setting or do a factory reset.