Need help programming eeprom and pic

G

Gentleman

I have an old fationed card with a PIC and EEPROM chips fixed through soldered stands. I also have a programmer which takes those chips directly on its own stands (doesn't take the card itself).

I like to know what program can
1-Read from those chips and save whatever information on them on a file (hex I assume)
2-edit that saved file with new keys and save it on the chips again.

What is the process of programming such chips step by step ? Please start from square 1.

Thanks

Gent.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
http://satpages.sat4all.com/ Try this link Gent', it has a fair amount of information on this subject. You will also need to try and identify what the chips are on your PCB, as some of the older ones are of no real use anymore.

Rolf

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
You should be able to use IC-Prog for programming the chips and Picbinedit to edit the keys providers. You can find them all in the downloads section of rolfw's link.

nobbly :+

G

Gentleman

That was a good link but the forum there is in German!

Those programs asked me for the kind of my programmer . It is generic box of electronics that has 2 sockets one with 8 holes to hold the small chip and the other has 18 holes to hold the larg one. Those chips are tested already and can hold the hex files, but what is the name of such programmer and what is its clock speed etc ??

The IC-prog didn't continue at al because it couldn't recognize my programmer do you know a simpler program.

Gent.

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
The link was to give you info on programming and smart cards not really for the forum. Anyway Whats wrong with this forum?...

As for which programmer you have, I have no idea. Have a look at the programmers on the sat4all page. Could it be a JMD without the card slot?

Also try Pix programming software Its an old dos software which should run in windows too.
http://www.somiwo.com/software/files/download.mv

G

Gentleman

No I didn't say there is anything wrong with this forum, any help it provides is appreciated,
but it seems to me it is not geared towards the beginners. I understand the forum as a place of getting quick information instead of spending hours looking for it, if my understanding is incorrect please advise.

Gent.

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Sure this forum is geared for beginners. The problem you seem to have is that you want to know everything straight away. Start slowly and very soon you will learn alot. Read other peoples posts in THIS forum. This will help you. Your not the first newbie to use this site.

It's no good coming here and expecting people to know what programmer you have unless you explain things more clearly. There are 100's of different programmers around. It could even be a home made one.

If you don't know what your programmer is and you can't make it work at all for around £30-50 you can buy an new programmer and £5-10 for a card.

Happy to help anytime

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Gentleman i spent nearly 3 months just browsing this forum before i even considered buying a programmer or goldcard. There are many roads to rome and you need to decide which one to take. Before anyone can be of any assistance they need to know exactly what programmer, equipment you have in order to advice you correctly. What is your knowledge base? have you programmed a card before or pcb? and/or are just trying to identify what hardware you already have?
You have 2 chips, a programmer? (which make/model?) a pcb to mount the chips i take it? what type of chips are they? if you are using software which type? etc etc, the more specific you are the more people can help you specifically. :)

G

Gentleman

Ok guys, the issue is not about a programmer.

Before I found this forum I LOOKED a lot for information on programming but I was going in a circle, partly because I didn't know where to look and partly because I didn't always understand what was said. When I loged in here, I felt relief because there is a lot of expertise on this forum but I saw a post somewhere saying that one should LOOK for similar information before posting for help. That meant going into that circle again. Asking a question allows for going straight to the point and saves a lot of wasted time. That is what I meant by "quick information" not knowing everything at once.

I know I can depend on this forum for all my questions and I will continue asking them until I am no longer a beginner.

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Now that everything is clear. What's your question ?// LOL

G

Gentleman

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Jan-02 AT 08:32 PM (GMT)]Actually my original question was partially answered because I found a program called NT PIC programmer which recognized my programmer and has the feature I need which is reading from the chips and saving their info in a file to be edited later. My chips are the regular 24LC16 and 16F84, and indeed my programmer IS a home made one as you guessed.

However, I can use a simpler editor than the picbin edit if you know any or it will be helpful if you have a tutorial how to use the picbin eidt, more particularly if I want to add a key to the original file I have.

Gent.

Hey,
Nobody reply to Gentleman because according to the date on the left hand side he doesn't become a member until this December!
Something wrong here me thinks - LOL :D

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Read my post "Simple guide to Pic Bin Edit"
http://www.satellites.co.uk/scripts/webforum/DCForumID15/403.html

Goto Sat4all site http://satpages.sat4all.com/ in the sofware section, picbined. This should help you