Need help, replaced old dish with new 1.2M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Hello all, I just replace my smaller dish with a 1.2m dish today, lined up motor tube line, set it to 46 lat for me, but the dish angle has no markings, so I really don't know how to set it except have someone watch the signal meter in Gemini on a 7020s. I lined the dish up the best I could just like the previous dish that was pointing at 28.2 when I removed it. I'm really not getting a signal at all with this setup, can anyone point out someting obvious that I might have missed.

The previous install had the motor angle set to 53 lat, I don't know why unless they just didn't wat to mess with the dish angle setting. I am at 46 lat 30 long. Any help appr. as I'm going back up tomorrow with a spare LNB just in case....

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
You really need a sat meter of some kind. Looking at the signal meter on the gemini image simply wont be enough as there is a few sec delay. Get a cheap one on the net. It will save you a lot of time.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Thanks for the reply,
Well those are not common here. My installer came over today with his receiver and mini tv, now I get 13 and 28.2 but nothing else with my new 1.2m dish. He change the Lat again on the motor and who knows what on the dish angle, I will have to go back up and see exactly what he did. It's hard without a translator.

I tried to explain to him why the Lat or elevation on the motor was important for following the ARC, but he just does not seem to get it.....

Once I know what it is set on, maybe I can make some calculations of my own to correct it. At least I have a signal to 13....WIll try to figure this out and get back with a post tomorrow, weather willing....for now no 19.2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Ok, After reading the above post let see if I can get some aggreement here on what I will do. I have a signal from 28.2 "almost due south for me"

If I put the motor angle back to 46 lat, I should be able to adjust the dish angle to get the 28.2 signal back "I hope" and since I am at 46 Lat 30 long, this should make the correction, and I will be back on the ARC.

As long as the pole is plumb, etc...

Can I get some concurrence ?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Put the motor to read your lat.
Zero the motor.
Find your due south satellite by adjusting the dish declination and by moving the pole if you need to, but not the motor.

L.:)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
You mean 0 the motor @ 28.2 ? or just recalculate ?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
0 the motor and find 28.2 if that is your nearest due south sat.
Peak on that by moving the pole NOT the motor, then the rest should drop in.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Sorry,
But I don't really understand what your trying to say: The motor is already pointing due south, and I have a signal from 28.2... 28.2 is actually about 5 degrees west on the motor...

I cannot move the pole, I can move the motor around the pole

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
That's Ok if you can move the motor on the pole instead then.
Set your motor to 2 degrees west first.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Thanks,
I think I understand what your trying to do here, but you must understand I do not have any tools like a signal finder, etc...

My thoughts above were that if I have a signal from 28.2 then it gives me a reference point. I hesitate to move the motor or anything else in a horizontal position. Vertically, I can always get it back if I mess up by putting it back were it was. I understand that moving the motor on the pole 2 degress west, you are thinking that will line it up with 30E which is my real due south, correct ?

So I can drive the motor 2 degrees west, then rotate the motor on the pole until I get the 28.2 signal back, is that correct ?

Then I can set the motor angle to 46 LAT, and adjust the dish angle ..

That should do it right ? or am I way off ?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yep that's it.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Thanks alot, I will give that a go, and let you know how it turns out..

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
OK, here is a followup. my Location LAT 46, Lon. 30

Climb on the roof with a signal from 28.2, just to refresh your memory, I replaced a smaller dish with a 1.2m so I could reach 19.2E from Odessa, Ukraine. 28.2, 13E, 5E, 4W was not a problem with the smaller dish.

Ok, back to the story...this time I found 28.2 at maybe 1E on the motor, the installer had changed it again, LAT was set to 40, he change that from 53.....anyway, I began making adjustments, I put the Motor angle at 46 the correct angle for my location, and then adjusted the dish angle until I had the best signal from 28.2 that I could get.

I did not want to swing the motor three degree's because, the graduations on the motor are only in ten's 0,10,20,etc...

I can get 28.3 and 13E very well, but 19.2 only gives me about 7 data services, gemini shows scannng somewhere around 50 or so lnb's, I cannot get 5E or 4W any longer...I feel like some progress has been made at least, the lat and dish angle are set properly...I would like to have 28.2 set to 2 on the motor, but maybe another day....

Anyone have any ideas ?

Rolfw ? Lancelot ?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
You sound like you are on the right track now at least.
I think from here it is just a matter of fine tuning between the motor elevation settings and the dish declination to get where you want to be.
Don't forget that the markings on motors and dishes are not always
100% accurate so it may be a case of adjusting for what works best for you and using the marks as a rough guide only. But do try to get rid of that 3 degree azimuth error if at all possible.

Good luck.

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
there are some good bits of info on dish alignment on emantechnology.com,great for laymen and nubys.
'boxnut'

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Will the recalc function in Gemini take care of the three degrees ? I have learned that a 1.2M dish is a little bit harder to tune than a 80 dish. If I had a motor that moved vertical, now that would be much easier :)

I am also wondering about 19.2 footprint, but from what I understand, I should be able to pick it up, at least according to sadox..

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi

Can you get BBC and ITV channels with yout 1.2m? My fiancee lives in Chernivtsy, so it would be nice to find out what size dish I would need .

Thanks.

PS are you Ukranian or a UK ex pat?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As you are at about 31E you would be better setting your due south satellite on Arabsat 2B at 30.5E if you can get any signal off it.

Remember that you are well out of footprint for many of the 13E 19E & 28E services - its quite possible that you wont be able to pick some of them up.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
digiguy said:
Hi

Can you get BBC and ITV channels with yout 1.2m? My fiancee lives in Chernivtsy, so it would be nice to find out what size dish I would need .

Thanks.

PS are you Ukranian or a UK ex pat?

Probably 3.5m plus in Ukraine for 2d