Need help with finding signal

bob1759

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skyware sx 1019 s dish, silvercrest digital HD Sat Receiver
My Location
Meath, Ireland
I'm having trouble picking up the Astra 2 signal with a Skyware sx1019 s. I was given it without a manual or any guide to install it. It is connected to a Silver crest digital box I recently bought. All I know is to roughly point the dish at the sun at ten in the morning but without any luck so far. Any advice would be appreciated as my knowledge in this area is limited.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Alignment has to be precise to tenths of a degree not only in Azimuth (Bearing -sort of), but also in Elevation.

Elevation often fools people as they don't take into account the offset of the LNB arm and end up pointing the dish face upwards, whereas it should be more or less vertical by eye.

I suggest you follow the Links at the top of the page and have a play with Dishpointer.

As for Elevation, here's an explanatory pic.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, just looked up the Skyware item number and it's an LNB ..............is that right?

Have you just replaced the LNB on an existing "Sky" dish.

Need more detail, please.

That said, same principle as stated above applies.

Plus, the LNB needs to be skewed correctly to ensure reception of both polarities of signal. Not played with a Sky-type LNB for a while, but think that the old "ratchet" arrangement might have changed, but it should be obvious anyhow.